Summary: We do not need to understand everything to have faith in God. Faith is not an emotion or a feeling. It works. God uses people with faith to accomplish His purposes. Faith in God unlocks His blessings in our lives.
Rahab and her entire family were saved because of her FAITH in God and the GRACE of God.
• Her faith in God moved her from being a “nobody” to becoming a significant player in God’s plan.
• From being someone who was simply known as “the prostitute”, to finding her name into the genealogy of Jesus Christ.
• Faith unlocks the door to God’s grace in her life. No matter how bad is your past, faith in God will give you a new future.
The Israelites get ready to cross the Jordan River and take possession of the Land.
• Fulfilling God’s purpose requires their response, their involvement, their faith and their unity.
• Joshua sent out two spies to view the land and Jericho, the first obstacle in their path. The men went and came to hide in the house of a prostitute named Rahab.
• It was likely so because the house was by the city wall (verse 15).
News leaked out that spies came into the city and the King sent men to arrest them.
• Rahab did a remarkable thing. She risked her life to cover up for them and protect them.
• She did that because she had heard about Israel’s God. Her words to the spies revealed her faith.
She said to them in verse 9: “Verse 9 – “I KNOW that the Lord has given this land to you…”
• Verse 10 “We have HEARD how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt…”
• She got to know what God has SAID and what God has DONE.
And her conclusion? Verse 11 – “… for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.” That’s her CONFESSION OF HER FAITH.
• She did not know everything about this God (she does not have the LAW), but that little that she knows was enough to convince her that Israel’s God is true.
• Faith unlocks God’s grace in her life. She said, “Now then, please swear to me by the Lord that you will show kindness to my family…”
• And that’s exactly what God will do – show her loving kindness, show her grace.
We do not need to understand everything to have FAITH in God.
• It is not how much we need to know. It is whether we can have faith in what God has already revealed to us.
Rahab’s faith was not blind. It was based on the information she had.
• The whole nation feared because of what they have heard. There must be some authenticity; it wasn’t just rumours.
• Faith is never without a basis. Faith is not blind. Blind faith is not faith, it is superstition or presumption.
• Real faith is anchored upon truth. It is always based upon the revelations of God. The revelation is always ENOUGH.
Rahab responded with simple faith to the little she has heard about God, and that’s enough. That is enough to save her and her family.
Faith is not an emotion or a feeling. It works.
• We see the ACT of true faith and the FRUIT of faith.
• Rahab demonstrated her faith when she took the great risk in shielding the spies. She is putting her life at stake.