Summary: A message on the return of Christ referencing the scoffers of 2 Peter 3 and also the 10 virgins of Matthew 25.
A.To study or preach on future events should inspire us toward lives of purity and Godliness
B. It should also make us aware of the godlessness of our times.
The Scoffers of the Last Days
A. Just look around at those who make light of sin and salvation through the blood of Christ
B. They reject that God created the universe (vs. 5)
1. A willing ignorance
2. So called evidence of creationism is mans evil imaginations
C. They don’t believe that God once judged and destroyed the earth by water (vs. 6)
D. They think that things will always continue as they are now (vs. 4)
1. For God to delay a thousand years in like us delaying for a day (vs.8)
2. In man’s ignorance of the true God he is apt to think of Him, as he would man.
3. What man counts as slackness if God’s patience and longsuffering (vs9)
a. for the salvation of the elect
b. for the growth of the believer
D. It would be no more difficult for God to destroy the earth than it was for Him to create it.
The Comparison of Christ’s Coming to the Parable of the Ten Virgins of Matthew 25
A. The ten virgins are the bridesmaids
1. They all had lamps
2. They were to keep the bride company until the groom arrived
3. They all went to meet the bridegroom
4. Five of them had no oil, which represents the Holy Spirit
5. None of them considered there was a problem with the others.
Matt. 13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
6. The represent the religious yet unconverted church
Rom. 8:9 ......Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
B. Christ is the bridegroom (Eph. 5:22-27)
1. In the weddings of Bible times the arrival of the groom was a secret.
2. He tried to arrive at an unexpected time.
C. The church is the bride.
1. Have we forgotten the promises of God regarding the Second Advent?
2. We can not listen to the doubts and disbelief of the world nor the unsaved church member.
3. When Peter stepped from the boat I am sure there were doubters.
4. There are doubters today concerning the promises of God