Summary: This outline examines the claims of Bob Cornuke & Larry Williams and their video "The Search for the Real Mt. Sinai" Much of this material comes from Tom Pickett http://www.genesisfiles.com/Exodus_RedSea.htm
The Search for the Real Mt. Sinai
Examining the claims of Bob Cornuke & Larry Williams in the video “The Search for the Real Mt. Sinai” It would be helpful to view this video first.
- Mt. Sinai has to be based on where the Red Sea crossing was
- Scholars have identified 13 different sites for Mt Sinai
Where Israel started
- Roman Legion typically marched about 10 miles per day.
- During the US Civil War, Union and Confederate troops typically marched about 10 miles per day on foot (assuming over average terrain and not a forced march - although armies have marched further than 10 miles per day when they needed to do so).
- People with animals can cover about 6 miles in a day, time needed for animals to graze and drink
Genesis 47:11 And Joseph placed his father and his brethren, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.
Exodus 9:26 (KJV)Only in the land of Goshen, where the children of Israel were, was there no hail.
Exodus 12:37 (KJV)And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children.
The Wilderness Way
Ex. 13:17 And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:
18 But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt. 20 And they took their journey from Succoth, and encamped in Etham, in the edge of the wilderness
- Harnessed - Military formation
- Philistines Way easy road along the Med. Sea
- LORD could protect us on the easy way
- The hard way is to show us Himself
Day 3 Turn Back
Ex 14:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, that they turn and encamp before Pihahiroth, between Migdol and the sea, over against Baalzephon: before it shall ye encamp by the sea.
Num. 23:7 And they removed from Etham, and turned again unto Pihahiroth, which is before Baalzephon: and they pitched before Migdol.
MSS left Etham, circled back to Pi Hahiroth
NIV They left Etham, turned back to Pi Hahiroth
- God’s purpose sometimes does not make sense
- Going back is not reaching the Promise end
- To the North & West is Pharaoh’s Army
- To west is Red Sea ( Bitter Lake)
- To the South rough sandy lose gravel travel
Into The Sea
- It over is 12 miles long and over 6 miles wide.
- Note the airport N/S line (runway) is about 1.7miles
Exodus 14:21-22 (KJV)
And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea; and the LORD caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided. 22 And the children of Israel went into the midst of the sea upon the dry ground: and the waters were a wall unto them on their right hand, and on their left.