Summary: The return of Christ should encourage us to: 1. Look forward to it. 2. Serve God more faithfully 3. Tell as many people as we can.
Introduction: I Thessalonians 5:1-11
I. Biblical Fact about the Return of Jesus Christ
A. The certainty of His return
1. It was promised by Jesus before His death (John 14:1-3)
2. It was prophesied by Jesus to occur at the end of the age (Matt 24:3-42)
3. It was promised by the angels immediately following His ascension (Acts 1:9-11)
4. It was prophesied by his the Apostles (I Thess 4:13-18; 2 Peter 31-12)
B. The uncertain time of His coming
1. The exact time of His return in known only to the Father (24:3-41)
2. There are signs that point to His return. (Matt 24:32-35)
3. Christians are instructed to be ready for His coming. (Matt 24:42-46)
a. Many false Christ’s and prophets will appear. (vs. 5; 23-24)
b. Wars and rumors of wars. (vs.6-7)
c. Famine, pestilence, and earthquakes (v. 7)
d. Multiplied lawlessness. (Matt 24:12; 2 Tim 3:1-5)
II. Biblical Reason for the Second Coming
A. The resurrection and reward of the dead in Christ. (I Thess 4:16; I Cor 15:20-23; Rev 22:12-13)
B. The rapture and transformation of the living in Christ. (I Cor 15:50-54; I Thess 4:17)
C. To demonstrate the His power of Satan. (Rev 6:2)
- A white horse - Supposed to represent the Gospel system, and pointing out its excellence, swiftness, and purity.
- He that sat on him - Supposed to represent Jesus Christ.
- A bow - The preaching of the Gospel, darting conviction into the hearts of sinners.
- A crown - The emblem of the kingdom which Christ is to establish on earth.
- Conquering, and to conquer - Overcoming and confounding the Jews first, and then the Gentiles; spreading more and more the doctrine and influence of the cross over the face of the earth.
- (Source Clarks Commentary)
D. To establish the eternal orders of Heaven and Hell. (Matt 25:31-46)
III. Biblical attitude Toward His Return
A. Believers should be comforted by His return. (I Thess 4:13-18; Titus 2:13-15)
B. Believers should be fervent in Evangelism. (John 4:34-36)
C. Believers should live holy lives. (2 Peter 3:10-14)
D. Believers should be faithful in service to the Lord that we will receive our full reward. (I Cor 3:11-15)
Conclusion: The return of Christ should encourage us to:
1. Look forward to it. 2. Serve God more faithfully 3. Tell as many people as we can.