Summary: This short dialog based sermon investigates the secrets for learning to trust God given by Solomon in Proverbs 3.
The Secret to Trusting God
The last time we were together we talked about learning to trust God. Well Solomon as wise as he was left us a pretty good teaching on learning the secret to trusting God. Let¡¦s look at it together.
1) Do not lean on your own understanding ¡V often our understanding fail us. Our desires often do not match up to His will. Lot¡¦s of things ¡§feel¡¨ right but they simply are not. It is important that we learn to trust God that His will is right. 2 Tim. 4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. We cannot be driven by our own desires.
2) In all your ways acknowledge Him. Learning to trust God is about learning to incorporate Him into every aspect of life. There is no sacred/secular in a Christian¡¦s life. ¡§present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service¡¨ Romans 12:1. The truth is that Paul says whatever you do whether it is eating or drinking ¡§do all to the glory of God.¡¨
3) Do not be wise in your own eyes Romans 1: 21For even though they knew God, they did not „Thonor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man¡K Our best thinking often leads us to errors in judgment. We learn to trust God most when we realize that we really can¡¦t live without Him. When we get to the end of ourselves and find the blessing of who He is then our trust really begins.
4) Fear the Lord and turn away from evil ¡V we talked about this at length on Sunday morning. The fear we talk about here is not to be afraid but to be in awe. Sin clouds judgment ¡V sin keeps in bondage ¡V truth sets us free.
5) Honor the Lord from your Wealth ¡V The scriptures tell us that where our treasure is there our hearts will be also. The truth is that our hearts follow our treasure not the other way around. In hoarding we fail to trust ¡V in investing we learn to trust.
6) Do not reject discipline ¡V God disciplines those He loves. When I place boundaries for my children they learn to trust me. They know that I will not allow them to go into areas that are dangerous for them. Trust is built through discipline.