Summary: Should I tithe and why?
Stewardship Series #6
Stewardship of God’s Tithe
The Sermon on the Amount!
1. There’s an old saying; "Money talks. Mostly it says to many people, ’Goodbye.’" And I am sure there is some truth in that statement, especially when we are settling our monthly accounts.
2. Read Statistics from Barna Group!
3. And we wonder why God does not bless the American church with more--when we can’t even obey basic calls to faithfulness!
4. I like the bumper sticker that says, "Tithe if you love Jesus; anyone can honk!"
I. The Reasons for Tithing
1. It is also a covenant with God
2. The Tithe belongs to God (Leviticus 27:30)!
B. Tithing Curbs Our Greed
1. O.S.Hawkins said, "The principle hindrance to the advancement of the kingdom of God is greed. It is the chief obstacle to heaven-sent revival. It seems that when the back of greed is broken, the human spirit soars into regions of unselfishness.
2. "I believe it is safe to say there can be no continuous revival without ’hilarious’ giving. And I fear no contradiction: wherever there is ’hilarious’ giving, there will soon be revival!"
D. Tithing Cultivates our Giving
1. As we get into the habit of tithing, we get used to giving a portion of our income away.
2. This cultivates a giving heart in those that tithe primarily because they love Christ!
3. If a person is a faithful tither, when the Holy Ghost moves on his or her heart to give something extra for a special offering or need, he/she is more ready and willing to give money because he/she is in practice!
II. The Requirements for Tithing
* Mark 12:41--"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much."
A. We are to give the right amount.
* Tithe literally means 10%!
B. We are to give with the right attitude (II Corinthians 9:7)!
C. We are to give with the right aim (Malachi 3:10).
1. "That there may be meat in my house!"
2. For God¡¯s glory; not for our own advancement.
III. The Risks of Tithing (Romans 12:8)
A. Showmanship (Mark 12:38-40)
C. Pride (Luke 18:9-14)
IV. The Rewards to Tithers (Malachi 3:10-12)
A. Perception--"I will open you the windows of heaven..."
B. Provision--"I will pour you out a blessing"
C. Protection--"I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes"
D. Prestige (v. 12)
E. Partnership (I Corinthians 3:8)