Summary: When you hear the word quench do you think about being thirsty? Most of us usually assume that the word means to do away with a tremendous thirst.
When you hear the word quench do you think about being thirsty? Most of us usually assume that the word means to do away with a tremendous thirst. Paul is not saying that we should not give the Holy Spirit a drink of water. The way he uses the word here different from the way we normally think of the word quench.
1. The word "quench" means "to extinguish." “To put out”
It’s more like putting out a light or smothering a fire.
There are several ways to extinguish a fire and some don’t work to good. Never pour water on a magnesium fire or a grease fire or a gas fire because you will end up with a mess on your hands.
(Pick up one of the fire extinguishers and demonstrate how to properly extinguish a flame)
What is it that gives life to the flame? Oxygen and the best way to extinguish a flame is to deprive it of oxygen, the quicker the better.
The Holy Spirit is to the believer what oxygen is the flame…
2. This command was written in the context of public worship.
a. This commandment is place in the middle of a context of verse that should be observed when the church gathers for public worship.
• There is to be a habit of rejoicing. (Verse 16) The person and works of God should be celebrated with praise, excitement, and zeal. [So put your hands together once in a while!]
• There is to be a habit of victorious prayer. (Verse 17) One of the ways we demonstrate to the world the reality of God is through answered prayer. [So share both your requests and praises!]
• There should be a habit of gratitude. (Verse 18) It is God’s will that we express our thanks "in everything." [So focus on all that’s right. Start thanking God for SOMETHING! Illustrate gratitude… don’t focus just on what’s wrong!]
• There should be a habit of Bible study and application. (Verse 21)Reading it is just not enough! 10am EVERY Sunday Bible study…6pm EVERY Sunday Bible study…You need to have your own quiet time with God and His Word.
Illustrate with Dalton 13yr old who makes himself get up for a quiet time. [So get in the Quiet Time habit and see real spiritual progress!]
• There should be a habit of moral, social, and doctrinal separation. (Verse 22) What we do, the life we live outside these walls will either build up or tear down the witness of this entire body…which quenches the work we were put here to do. Any one of us can, single handed, shut the ministry of Elim Bible down by the testimony we live out there…
•The church should develop a habit of listening to and cooperating with the Holy Spirit.
3. The Holy Spirit did not come to be a spectator in the church; He came to be in charge.
a. He is quenched when we do not seek His leadership.
b. He is quenched when we substitute programs and traditions for genuine worship.
c. He is quenched when rejoicing is absent…When prayer is neglected…When gratefulness is uncommon…When truth is ignored…and when compromise is tolerated.