Summary: This message show the ministry of Satan and his Demons in the world and how the Believer has the ability to overcome them.
Scripture: Revelation 2:20 – 25
Title: “THE SINISTER MINISTER”
Introduction: As John was writing to the “Seven Churches” of Asia he began his remarks to the Church of Thyatira by saying, “I have this against you: You sufferest (TOLERATE) that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess.”
John is using a reference to the wife of Ahab, who seduced the Israelites to worship Baal.
John was speaking of some woman who under the pretence of being a prophetess and approved the doctrines of the Nicolaitans and for that reason was designated a new Jezebel.
This false prophetess John mentioned here may actually have been named Jezebel; more probably, however, she was a well-known woman whose actions made her a contemporary counterpart of the notorious Jezebel of 1 Kings 16 and 21, and 2 Kings 9.
This church of Thyatira was allowing a woman to teach the servants of God to commit sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols.
Toleration of evil was the besetting sin of the church at Thyatira.
I. THE SPIRIT OF JEZEBEL.
1. Get the picture, the church of Thyatira was permitting a woman to teach and prophesy things that were of the devil.
2. This prophetess was advocating a loose attitude morally and religiously.
3. This woman John referred to as “Jezebel” claimed to be a prophetess.
4. She had a MESSAGE.
5. This Jezebel was under the influence of a “spiritual force.”
6. This spirit was encouraging this woman to say things that was misleading God’s people to do bad things.
7. Her message was AGAINST everything God stands for!
8. This woman and her demonic message had drawn the attention of God to the point God had warned her to repent.
9. This Jezebel refused to repent even though God had warned her.
1. Why would a Christian church “Tolerate” such a thing to work in them?
2. The things this Jezebel was teaching appeals to the “Flesh” part of mankind. (Sex and Idol worship)
3. “Just leave it alone and maybe it will just go away.”
4. “We are libel to upset someone if we try to stop this!”
5. Tolerating this demonic influence in the church had sapped the church of REVIVAL.
6. Toleration had also cost them their relationship with God.
7. Tolerating Satan’s intervention has given us a society full of needs that only a “Revival” from God will fix.
III. WHERE DO EVIL SPIRITS COME FROM?
1. Originally, Demons came from heaven. – “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shall be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.” Isaiah 14:12,13,14
2. When Satan and decided he would try to take over heaven and he gathered a great number of the angels to help him is when God threw him out of heaven. Ezek. 28:15 – Rev. 12:4