Summary: Tonight we’re on our 2nd installment on the Spiritual Gifts. We’re looking at the “Gifts of Power,” three gifts associated by their powerful effects on the world and spiritual forces.
THE SPIRIT & HIS GIFTS 2
1 Cor. 12:8-11
A. HUMOR: WHAT DID YOU SAY?
1. A young man went up to an old man and said to his ear, “Hey, could you lend me $5.00?”
2. The old man said, “I’m deaf in that ear. Come around to the other one. Now what did you say?”
3. The young man plucked up his courage and said, “Hey, could you lend me $20.00?”
4. The old man said, “Lend you what?” “$20.00!”
5. The old man looked incredulous and said, “You better go back to the $5.00 ear!”
“For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.” 1 Cor. 12:8-11.
1. We are having a continuing series on the Holy Spirit. We started in Genesis and have worked through the Books of the Bible, down to the Apostle’s Epistles.
2. Tonight we’re on our 2nd installment on the Spiritual Gifts. We’re looking at the “Gifts of Power,” three gifts associated by their powerful effects on the world and spiritual forces.
3. “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant” 1 Cor. 12:1. There are many people who don't understand the gifts of the Spirit and/or mistakenly teach that God has done away with the gifts. But they are real & vital for the Body of Christ today!
4. The title of this message is: "The Holy Spirit & His Gifts 2."
PART II. GIFTS OF POWER
1. What this Gift if NOT:
a. Saving Faith
b. Faith, the FRUIT
c. General Faith
Instead we’re discussing a species of faith which is known to operate physically and visibly on the things around it.
2. A Definition of the Gift
The Gift of Faith is a supernatural endowment by the Spirit whereby that which is spoken or desired by man, or spoken by God, that shall eventually come to pass. This human or divine “miracle-utterance,” or “miracle- ASSURANCE” is different from the Working of Miracles and the Gifts of Healings in that often its operations are not immediately or even generally observable.
1). The Power by which God works (Gen. 1:3, Heb. 11:3).
2). A divine certainty that triumphs.
3). A faith that dares and expects great things from God.
b. Is Twofold:
1). Assures the maintenance of unswerving BELIEF and trust in God in spite of circumstances.
2). The accomplishment of mighty WORKS of divine power (Heb. 11:33, 34).
3. Scriptural Examples of the Gift
a. Miracles especially associated with this gift (I Cor. 13:2 (move mountains), Mk. 11:20-23 (wither fig tree), Lk. 17:6 (mustard seed of, can uproot mulberry tree), Mt. 17:19-20, cast out demons).