Summary: How the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses.
Theme - The Spirit helps us in all our weakness.
What are the problems of using human strength to overcome our weaknesses? People who do tend to live more in the flesh than by the Spirit. The flesh profits nothing. The mind set on the flesh is death but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace. (Rom. 8:6-8)
Illustration: Author Jamie Buckingham once visited a dam on the Columbia River. He’d always thought that the water spilling over the top provided the power, not realizing that it was just froth, that deep within turbines and generators transformed the power of tons and tons of water to electricity--quietly, without notice, not like the flashy froth on top. The Spirit provides the power to energize our Christian lives. He alone provides the enlightenment to make our lives shine for Jesus Christ to a world that needs hope, love and direction.
Illustration: Sometime back the Associated Press carried this dispatch: "Glasgow, Ky.--Leslie Puckett, after struggling to start his car, lifted the hood and discovered that someone had stolen the motor." Trying to run your Christian life without the Spirit is like trying to drive a car without the engine.
Why is it true that when we are weak then we are strong in Christ?
1. Humility like darkness, tends to reveal more of the Spirit’s light. The Spirit of God has a way of taking our individual weaknesses and making us strong through these points of vulnerability. When we are weak then He, the Spirit of truth, love and comfort, becomes strong in us. Let His life flow through you as you surrender your will, way and work to His overflowing power.
2. When we are willing to admit our need to depend on the Spirit, He works overtime in interceding on our behalf to the almighty Father. The Holy Spirit knows exactly the best things to pray for about. He knows our frame and is mindful that we are but dust. He knows how to cheer, guide and enable us to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all that we ask or think according to the power that He works mightyily within us. Allow the Spirit of God to do a great work through you as you abide in Him and ask Him for everything in His name.
3. As hope for something better sustains us in times of trials, so the Spirit helps us see the light at the end of every tunnel. Praise God that the Holy Spirit fills us with hope, optimism and a prospect of better things to come. Even though our outward man decays, yet the Spirit renews, recharges and reinvigorates us day by day and moment by moment with an infusion of His mighty power, purpose and perspective.
4. The Spirit is the Master translator of our thoughts, desires, and needs into language that the Father completely understands. The Spirit is not dependent on our vocabulary, our diction, or our theological understanding to present our heart felt needs before the throne of grace. Praise God that we can come boldly to the throne of grace so that we might find mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. Like the song we need to utter these sweet words in prayer to the Lord, "We need Him every hour, Oh blessed Lord. Stay thou close by, till you are nigh. I need Thee Oh I need thee. Every hour I need thee. Oh bless me now my Savior, I come to Thee."
5. Do not think you have made spiritual progress until you have grown in humility. God walks with the humble. The Spirit can only instruct the humble. He gives understanding to the meek. He shows deep insights to the teachable. But, He hides His grace from the proud and self-sufficient. Be willing to confess your sin of self-righteousness, self-sufficiency or self-authority. Let the Spirit of God mold and make you more into the image of Jesus Christ. Let the word of God fill you with the knowledge of HIs will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so that you can walk in a manner that is worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, so that you can bear fruit in every good work while increasing in the knowledge of God. (Col. 1:9-11) Only the Spirit of God has the ability to turn an extreme weakness into a great strength. Only the Spirit of God knows the way to sustain you through the long hours of struggle. For those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength, they will run and not be wearing and walk and not faint. (Isa 41:10)
6. Whatever your weakness, ask the Father for strength. His Spirit can turn our frailness into empowerment. "His power is made perfect in our weakness. for His grace is sufficient for whatever weakness, hurt or disappointment you may be experiencing." (2 Cor. 12:9)