Summary: The Epistles of Paul, Peter, and John contained the teaching and understanding of the closest individuals to the outpouring, of what the dispensation of the Spirit was all about. Their concept of what “Life in the Spirit” is all about is key to entering into the same kind of experience.
THE SPIRIT IN THE EPISTLES
PART 1: “LIFE IN THE SPIRIT”
1. One day a young man who had his ears, nose, and even his tongue pierced went into an ophthalmologist’s office to buy contact lenses.
2. After the optometrist completed the eye exam, she told this teenager she was going to check the fit and prescription by putting the lenses into his eyes.
3. The teenager looked at the optometrist fearfully and asked, “Is this going to hurt?”
1. Tonight we’re on our 7th in a series on the Holy Spirit. Tonight we’re moving into the Epistles/ Letters of the Apostles.
2. The Epistles of Paul, Peter, and John contained the teaching and understanding of the closest individuals to the outpouring, of what the dispensation of the Spirit was all about.
3. Their concept of what “Life in the Spirit” is all about is key to entering into the same kind of experience.
4. So tonight is Part 1 of “The Spirit in the Epistles” and next week we’ll cover “The Spirit & His Gifts.”
I. THE INDWELLING SPIRIT
A. OUR BODIES, THE SPIRIT’S TEMPLE
1. 1 Cor. 6:19, “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you…” (1 Cor. 3:16; Eph. 2:22).
2. Gal. 3:14, “He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.”
3. Paul implies that God’s promise of blessing to Abraham ultimately was about the indwelling of the Holy Spirit!
B. THE SPIRIT IMPARTS LIFE
1. Tit. 3:5, “He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.”
2. Rom. 8:11, “And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.”
C. THE SPIRIT IDENTIFIES GOD’S CHILDREN
1. Rom. 8:16, “The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.”
2. 1 Jn. 4:13, “This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit.”
3. Gal. 4:6, “Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.”
4. Rom. 8:15, “The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
a. Ellen Read told that when her daughter was born, she weighed in at 11 lbs. and was 23 inches long.
b. Nobody was surprised, because the child’s father was a big basketball player. It was obvious she was his child!
c. He commented, “She’s a born basketball player! She’s got the size and she already knows how to dribble!”
d. The obvious sign that we’re OUR FATHER’S child is that He has given His Holy Spirit to us!