Summary: We are to know the Holy Spirit for He is the truth giver.
The Spirit of Truth. By Gerald Van Horn
Text: “Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth is come, he will guide you into all truth.” John 16:13.
We are to know the Holy Spirit. John 14:17. “Even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him: for He dweltheth with you and shall be in you.”
In the world that we live in where is the source of truth? Paul sums it up for a young preacher; “ Ever learning, and never come to the knowledge of the truth” 2 Timothy 3:7. Our world today as never before is filled with lies and lairs. Where can we go for the truth? There is distinct advantage in knowing the Holy Spirit. We have relied on others to instruct us about the Holy Spirit. We must learn to depend upon the Holy Spirit. We must be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s work in our lives. The Scriptures offers us a solid word on truth. I will list some profound words from the Bible about the Spirit of truth.
1. The Holy Spirit knows the truth for He is part of the Godhead.
The Holy Spirit is revealed to us as a person with character traits and roles to carry out. One of these is He is the truth revealer. He doesn’t merely know the truth. He is himself is truth. You can be sure that He will never mislead you in anyway. His word is sure. You can rely on His leading you into all truths.
2. The Holy Spirit testifies that Jesus is the truth. The truth that the Holy Spirit is trying to instill in us is the Jesus is the way and the truth. He verifies the claims of Jesus. Without this verification there can be no salvation. The Holy Spirit is the agent that draws men to Christ. No man can come to Christ unless the Spirit draws him. John 16: 7-8 “Nevertheless I tell the truth; It is expedient that I go away: for if I go not away, the Holy Spirit will not come unto you: But if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when He is come , he will reprove the world of sin, and righteousness, and of judgment.”
3. The Holy Spirit is trustworthy. You can rely on the Holy Spirit to tell the truth. He is the author of the entire Bible. If one attacks the Bible they attack the Holy Spirit too. The Holy Spirit is approachable. He is eager to make your acquaintance. Get to know Him. He is as near as the breath you breath.
We are encouraged in the New Testament to worship God in Spirit and in truth. That is the only thing that pleases the Father. He is able to make a way when there seems to be no way. He is the great provider for our needs. Come Holy Spirit we need Thee. The Holy Spirit is the only one in the trinity that if you sin against him it will not be forgiven.
4. Under the anointing of the Holy Spirit Jesus declared that he was the way, the truth and the life. When Jesus was on earth he ministered by the power of the Holy Spirit. When Jesus was Baptized in the river Jordan by John the Baptist, the Holy Spirit descended upon him in the form of a dove. The Father was well pleased. In Luke 4:18 Jesus declared that the Spirit of the Lord anointed him to preach the Gospel, to heal the broken hearted and the recovering the sight of the blind, to set a liberty those that are bruised.
5. The Holy Spirit reveals things to men. Acts 11:28 “And there stood us one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.” Acts 21:4 “And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.”
There is much more we could learn about the Holy Spirit if we would study the Scriptures. My you find the glorious truths resident in the Holy Spirit.