Summary: As contagious Christians, we must make sure we not only look to see the blessings of life but be willing to share the gift of our blessings with others.
Today we begin a six week series entitled “Becoming Contagious”. How do we, as believers in Christ become more contagious in making a difference in the life of one who’s life either does not show evidence of Christ or is unchurched.
A. WHY THIS SERIES
1. We All Have the Desire to be effective in influencing another for Christ.
a. Storms, Trials, Deliverance
b. Miracles of Prayer and Times of Call
c. Gift of Salvation
2. Satan does his part to make us feel:
b. Not Equipped – Don’t know enough
c. Not my responsibility
B. YOUR APPROACH TO “BECOMING CONTAGIOUS”
I’ve learned my approach to worship, Bible Study, etc. determines what I receive!
1. If I prepare through prayer, meditation, and expectancy
2. God always out gives my effort
3. If I approach Expecting to Receive God Outgives
4. The Same Applies to You
5. WE WILL NOT OUTGIVE GOD.
C. “THE STOCKPILE FACTOR”
1. TEXT: 2 KINGS 7:3-10
2. The Time Period
b. King Enlarging Territory or Protecting Territory
c. Walls around City
d. Gates Allowed Imports/Exports
3. The Setting: 2 Kings 6:24
a. “laid siege” “besieged” – Took control of Wall and the Gates to the City
b. Explain “famine” (Vs. 25, 27-29)
1. Siege so long it caused a famine
2. Selling a donkey’s head (unclean animal) for 80 shekels (approx. 50.00)
3. Selling a ¼ kab (1/2 pint) of seed pods, dove’s dung, dove/pigeon manure or green leaf, root but most say dove manure or dropping sold for 5 shekels (approx 3.00)
4. The FOUR LEPERS
a. Leprosy was an infectious disease
b. An outcast of city, home, or farm
c. Lived in a Leper’s Colony or Camp Outside of City
d. Received provisions from a family member or friend who would leave at camp’s boundary.
e. The Famine effected them also!
I. THE FIRST STEP IS THE HARDEST
A. THE LEPER’S CONDITION - READ 7.3-4
1. Their situation seemed helpless
a. Guards kept family from delivering their provisions
2. They thought they were on their own
3. We’ve all gone through days of trial and tribulation that made our situation seem helpless.
B. THEY TOOK THE FIRST STEP - READ 7.5-7
1. Took the “First Step” having no idea of what they would find
2. God had set up their way (before they took the first step)
Bible says “God knows what we need before we ask”
3. Describe the Camp “left the camp as it was” (7)
C. THE LEPER’S “STOCKPILE” - READ 7.8
All they were hoping to find is FOOD! But notice what they found!
1. The Tents
2. The Filling of Food (“Stockpile of Blessing”)
3. The Provisions were Hid – Their future secure!
1. How many are guilty of just that – hiding our stockpile of blessings!
2. God has given us more than we asked, and we may have even thanked Him but we’ve kept it to ourselves!
D. THE DAY OF GOOD NEWS IS NOW– READ 7.9
1. “a day of good news and we are keeping it to ourselves”
a. We need to remember “today is the day” We DON’T KNOW TOMORROW
b. Silence was an unthinkable crime at that point.
2. In VS. 10 they went back announced the STOCKPILE —and the city was saved.