Summary: The ministry of Jesus begins!
• SLIDE #1
• We are in Chapter 23 of The Story, The Ministry of Jesus begins!
• After the birth of Jesus and all the events surrounding that magnificent event, we find Jesus in the temple as a 12 year old, He was a source of amazement for those who were with Him.
• We do not read anything about what Jesus was doing until we get to this point in The Story, the beginning of the ministry of Jesus.
• John the Baptist was plowing the road for Jesus and one day, John to his amazement sees Jesus!
• We see people do amazing things on the athletic field as we stand in awe, we wonder how they are able to do what they do.
• When Jesus Christ came into public ministry, people made these kinds of statements: “Who is this? How can he have such wisdom? How can he do that?!” Jesus Christ was, indeed, THAT good!
• Jesus’ ministry was a sight to behold.
• Today I as we dive into chapter 23 of The Story I want to share three observations concerning the ministry of Jesus.
• Let’s begin by looking at Matthew 3:13-17
• SLIDE #2
• Matthew 3:13–17 (NIV) 13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented. 16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
• SLIDE #3
I. Jesus’ baptism marked the beginning of His public ministry.
• This was an exciting time, the baptism of Jesus mars the beginning of His public ministry!
• This event takes place in December of 26 AD or possibly January of 27 AD, 3-4 months before the Passover celebration of 27 AD,
• Luke 3:23 tells us that Jesus was ABOUT 30 years old when He began His ministry, putting His birth around 6-4 BC.
• Before Jesus comes to be baptized, John the Baptist is preaching to large crowds, people are intrigued by John.
• The religious leaders were there and John was going right at them, then Jesus shows up!
• John does not want to baptize Jesus because he feels unworthy, but Jesus tells John He needs to be baptized by him so all righteousness can be fulfilled!
• When Jesus was baptized and came UP from out of the water the skies ripped opened and verses 16-17 tell us; At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
• We see God the son being baptized, God the Holy Spirit descending like a dove and God the Father speaking from heaven!
• Why was Jesus baptized? Was He not sinless? Yes He was, verse 15 tells us that Jesus did it to fulfill all righteousness.
• John’s baptism was not a part of the Old Testament system, yet we see that it was and is a part of God’s will, a command given by God through the His prophet!
• SLIDE #4
• John 1:33 (NIV) And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
• So Jesus was saying He was doing this because it was what God wanted Him to do!
• As a side note, today if you have not been baptized into Jesus, you need to do it. Why?
• It is part of what God calls us to do in order to accept His gift of salvation! Plus, Jesus was baptized and He commanded His followers in the Great Commission to baptize those who want to be in His family and then teach them about the things of God.
• So if one wants to get into an argument over semantics over what you think baptism means you can do that, but the bottom line is followers of Jesus need to follow Jesus and be immersed into Him as Romans 6 among other passages teach us.
• Even though this was not stated as a reason in the Bible, the baptism marked the beginning of Jesus ministry!