Summary: The story of Mary and Joseph teaches us about the greatest gift that God has given to us - His Son Jesus, and salvation, joy, peace and hope.
THE STORY OF JESUS #1: THE BIRTH OF THE KING
INTRO TO TOPIC: Doesn’t it seem odd looking at the Christmas story in April??
• However, the story of the birth of Jesus isn’t just for Christmas! It’s part of our faith!
THE BIG IDEA: The story of Mary and Joseph teaches us about the greatest gift that God has given to us - His Son Jesus, and salvation, joy, peace and hope.
I. MARY THE BLESSED:
“26 Now in the sixth month (of Elisabeth’s pregnancy with John) the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28 And having come in, the angel said to her, "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!” (Luke 1:26-28, NKJV).
• Here we are introduced to Mary: A pure virgin who was favoured and blessed by God.
• Both Joseph and Mary were of the lineage of King David of Israel.
• The Lord looked for someone walking in purity and humility to be the mother of Jesus.
• Most scholars believe that Mary was probably around 13 years old.
II. JESUS THE SAVIOUR:
“29 But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. 30 Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus. 32 He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. 33 And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.” (Luke 1:29-33).
• Stop and think for a moment about how Mary must have been feeling: “She was troubled at his saying.” She was a teenage girl! What awesome responsibility…
• See the similarity in this passage with Isaiah’s prophecy about the Christ Child.
• “For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom.” (Isaiah 9:6-7a, NKJV).
• PREACH JESUS!
ALL THINGS POSSIBLE:
“34 Then Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I do not know a man?" 35 And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. 37 For with God nothing will be impossible." 38 Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.” (Luke 1:34-38, NKJV).