Summary: In Joshua, God gives His people three keys to being successful: Being people of the Word, people of prayer, and people who identify with Him.
THE STORY #7: THE BATTLE BEGINS: (JOSHUA)
INTRO TO TOPIC:
Have you ever faced an overwhelming challenge in your life? Did you confront it, or retreat?
• In the Story this week, we see God’s people facing an overwhelming challenge.
• The children of Israel are ready to head into the Promised Land, but the wicked people who live there are strong – some are giants – and their cities are fortified.
OVERVIEW OF THE BOOK OF JOSHUA:
Preparation: Ch. 1-5: God calls Joshua, Rahab hides spies, Israel crosses Jordan
Conquest: Ch. 6-12: Jericho, Ai, Southland Conquest then Northern Conquest
Division of Land: Ch. 13-22: The Land divided among the tribes
Joshua’s Final Speech: Ch. 23-24: Joshua’s final words: “We will serve the Lord!”
THE BIG IDEA: In Joshua, God gives His people three keys to being successful: Being people of the Word, people of prayer, and people who identify with Him.
I. THREE KEYS TO BEING SUCCESSFUL:
First of all – what does it mean to be successful? This doesn’t just mean in school or work!
Successful in every area of your life:
Overcoming stress, worry, anxiety, depression, fear, relationship struggles, family issues, more!
1. BE PEOPLE OF THE WORD OF GOD:
“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” (Joshua 1:8, NKJV).
• If we want to have good success, we need to read and obey God’s Word!
EXAMPLE #1: THE BATTLE FOR JERICHO:
“1 Now Jericho was securely shut up because of the children of Israel; none went out, and none came in. 2 And the Lord said to Joshua: "See! I have given Jericho into your hand, its king, and the mighty men of valor. 3 You shall march around the city, all you men of war; you shall go all around the city once. This you shall do six days. 4 And seven priests shall bear seven trumpets of rams' horns before the ark. But the seventh day you shall march around the city seven times, and the priests shall blow the trumpets. 5 It shall come to pass, when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when you hear the sound of the trumpet, that all the people shall shout with a great shout; then the wall of the city will fall down flat. And the people shall go up every man straight before him.” (Joshua 6:1-5).
• This had to be one of the most unusual military strategies in all of history!
• But – the People Obeyed God: After six days of marching around Jericho:
• “But it came to pass on the seventh day that they rose early, about the dawning of the day, and marched around the city seven times in the same manner. On that day only they marched around the city seven times. And the seventh time it happened, when the priests blew the trumpets, that Joshua said to the people: "Shout, for the Lord has given you the city!” (v.15-16).