Summary: THE STRONG AND THE WEAK GLORIFY GOD WHEN HELD TOGETHER BY DIVINE ENCOURAGEMENT 1.
THE STRONG AND THE WEAK GLORIFY GOD WHEN HELD TOGETHER BY DIVINE ENCOURAGEMENT
1. The Strong are Obligated to Encourage the Weak (:1-5a)
a. How can we encourage the weak?
1) by bearing with their failings (:1a)
2) by preferring them (not living for self) (:1-2)
3) by building up our neighbor
4) by reflecting upon the example of Christ (:3a)
He did not please Himself
He came to please God (to do His will -- Heb. 10:7)
He willingly endured others' shortcomings (Ps.69:9)
b. Where do we get strength to be patient and encourage?
1) we draw our strength from Scripture (:4)
2) ultimately we draw our strength from God (:5a)
2. Encouraging One Another in the Spirit of Unity Brings Glory to God (:5b-6)
a. The apostle's desire = the SPIRIT OF UNITY
2) Context for unity
3) How is unity displayed?
4) Where do we see the example to be patient with the weaknesses of others? patient endurance of Christ - Ps.69:9
b. What is the Result of encouraging one another in the Spirit of Unity?
1) it is pleasing to God
2) it gives glory to God