Summary: Israel believed that the Messiah that was to come would be a conquering Messiah. The sermon discribes the Messiah as the Suffering Servant who offers the hearers an informative tongue and helps the people by being the Suffering Servant.
Isaiah 50:4-9 The Suffering Servant
They longed for a victorious Messiah, not a suffering one. The image of the suffering servant went underground, as it were, lying dormant for centuries. Then, in a very dramatic scene early in his ministry, Jesus quoted from one of the servant passages in Isaiah (Luke 4:18-19). "Then he rolled up the scroll, gave
it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them. Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing"' (Luke 4:20-21).
1. The Suffering Servant is supplied with an informative Tongue
• The Suffering Servant Speaks words, that bring Satisfaction
vs.4 God speaks words that sustains the weary it is a satisfying word in the
season of weary.
• Jesus said to the weary Matthew 11:28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
• David was more than satisfied when he heard these Informative words keep following
thou you walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death you shall . fear no evil for I am with Thee
• The Suffering Servant Awakens the Weary to Pleasantness
Jeremiah 31: 25I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."
26At this I awoke and looked around. My sleep had been pleasant to me.
2. The Suffering Servant is the one Who Helps Me
7Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I look unto the hills from whence cometh my help, my . help cometh in the name of the Lord
• The Suffering Servant helps Me by becoming the Fool consider the Isaiah 53 texts
6I offered my back to those who beat me, Beatings were for criminal and fools
Proverbs 19:29 29Penalties are prepared for mockers, and beatings for the backs of fools.
• The Suffering Servant Helps by becoming the Plucked One that we might be Plucked from the burning
191Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. 2The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him
in a purple robe 3and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face.
• The Suffering Servant Helps by being the one who Vindicates
He becomes the cursed one or judged one
Isaiah 46 25But in the LORD all the descendants of Israel
will be found righteous and will exult.
• The Suffering Servant Helps by being the One who Nullifies(Cancels all charges) all
Charges against us and as a result no others can bring charges
Romans 8:31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own
Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those
whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
• The Suffering Servant Helps by Refuting all accusers (God proves all accusations as false, God opposes and disputes them all) all Accusers. the woman caught in adultery where are thy accusers
Isaiah 54:17 no weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me," declares the LORD.
3. Hear The Suffering Servant closing arguments
• Who is the Suffering Servant? He shall grow up a tender plant He will have no beauty that we would desire him he will be despised and rejected of men He is a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief he takes our infirmities and carries our sorrows he was wounded for our transgressions bruised for our inquities By his stripes we are healed 6We all, like sheep, have gone astray, and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. 7He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter so he did not open his mouth.