Summary: This sermon outlines how Christ should be exmeplified in our personal relationships.
The Supremacy of Christ is Demonstrated in Our
November 11, 2001
A. [Wife Taken for Granted Too Long, Citation: Robert Leslie Holmes, God’s Man (Kregel, 1998)]
A man accompanied his friend home for dinner and was impressed by the way he entered his house, asked his wife how her day went, and told her she looked pretty.
Then, after they embraced, she served dinner.
After they ate, the husband complimented his wife on the meal and thanked her for it. When the two fellows were alone, the visitor asked, "Why do you treat your wife so well?"
"Because she deserves it, and it makes our marriage happier," replied the host.
Impressed, the visitor decided to adopt the idea.
Arriving home, he embraced his wife and said, "You look wonderful!"
For good measure he added, "Sweetheart, I’m the luckiest guy in the world."
His wife burst into tears.
Bewildered, he asked her, "What in the world’s the matter?"
She wept, "What a day! Billy fought at school. The refrigerator quit and spoiled the groceries. And now you’ve come home drunk!"
B. How are your relationships today?
1. With your spouse? With your children? With your boss or employees?
2. Have they been neglected and mistreated for so long that you would be thought drunk if you tried this?
3. In the last few verses of Colossians 3, Paul gives us some valuable principles on how to maintain godly relationships with those around us.
4. When our relationships display these principles we will be demonstrating for all the world to see the supremacy of Christ; first…
I. Wives, submit to your husbands
Colossians 3:18, Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Ephesians 5:22-24, Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
A. Now here is a Biblical command that is not popular or politically correct.
1. This is not something that is touted in the women’s magazines, nor in the college classrooms.
2. But it is the Word of God.
B. Now let me briefly tell you what submitting is not.
1. Submitting doesn’t mean you’re a slave.
2. Submitting doesn’t mean you’re a go-for.
3. Submitting doesn’t mean being physically or emotionally abused.
4. And submitting to your husband doesn’t mean that you submit to all men.
C. So what is submitting?
1. Submitting is placing yourself in subjection to.
2. Submitting is willingly following your husband’s lead.
3. Submitting is what Christ did when He submitted himself to death for you.
4. Submitting is necessary for peace in the home.
5. Payton Manning may not be the strongest, fastest, or smartest member of the Colts, but he is the designated leader.
a. There has to be a leader on the team and the quarterback is that leader.
b. There has to be a leader on the team and Payton is the leader to whom the others submit, even though he’s not the fastest, strongest, and smartest one on the team.