Summary: Believers can celebrate God’s supremacy
Baptist Distinctives: The Supremacy of God
A. Easter is a wonderful day we celebrate – though not necessarily Scriptural and certainly commercialized – still a great day to celebrate many things.
B. The greatest reason we have for celebrating is the Supremacy of God. We do not want to enjoy the blessings of the day and miss this.
C. Read 2 Samuel 7:22 – give context
D. Today I want you to be able to pray that same prayer with all sincerity. I want you to join together as we lift high the banner of the supremacy of God. I want you to celebrate God and give Him the place of honor He deserves in your life by responding to two simple, but profound truths.
I. God Is Great
A. I told you they were simple – but the greatness of God is profound!
B. Consider the Scriptures
1. Deuteronomy 10:17: For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward.
2. Job 36:26: Behold, God is great, and we know him not, neither can the number of his years be searched out.
4. Job 40:6-14
5. Job 42:1-6
6. Psalm 86:10
7. Psalm 95:1-6
8. Psalm 104:1: Bless the Lord, O my soul. O lord my God, thou art very great…
C. Bible says He is our great high priest. He is the great shepherd. He does great and marvelous works and He has great thoughts toward us.
D. He is great in power, great in mercy, great in His kindness, and great in His love toward us.
E. The supremacy of God is seen in His mighty works throughout the Bible.
1. At His pleasure the Red Sea divided and its waters stood up
2. At His bidding the earth opened up and Jewish rebels were swallowed up.
3. When He ordered it the sun stood still and even went back.
4. He made ravens feed a prophet, an iron ax head float on water, lions to be tame, and fire not to burn.
F. That’s why Psalm 135:6 can say, “Whatsoever the Lord pleased, that did He in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.”
G. There is a funny story about Noah living in the U.S. when God told him to build another ark.
H. The fact of the matter is that God is supreme and does what He wants, when He wants, the way He wants, just because He wants.
I. David recognized the supremacy of God and so must we.
II. There Is None Like God
A. Our generation might deny the supremacy of God. They might deny His existence, His power, His love, His mercy, His justice and His authority over this world, but that doesn’t change any of it one bit.
B. It is imperative that we recognize and respond to the truth that there is no other God and He is absolutely supreme.
1. He is the first and the last
2. He is the Alpha and the Omega
3. He is infinite in every way
4. He is eternally self-existent and needs nothing
5. He is unchanging in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, truth
C. Various men in the Bible recognized this amazing attribute of God.
1. Moses taught the people of Israel to sing, “Who is like unto thee, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?”
2. King Solomon declared, “Lord God of Israel, there is no God like thee, in heaven above, or on earth beneath…”
3. King Jehoshaphat said, “O Lord God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? And do you not rule over all the kingdoms of the heathen? And in your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand you?”
4. The prophet Jeremiah told the people, “There is none like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is great in might. Who would not fear you, O King of nations?...there is none like you.”
D. Name Above All Names Illustration
E. David said that there was no God beside Him. God will share the stage with no one, for there is no one to share it with.
1. God alone created and sustains all of life
2. God alone has the power of life and death
3. God alone has authority over heaven and hell
4. It is to God alone that we will give an account
5. It is God alone who loved us so much to provide us a Savior
6. It is God alone who could walk this earth sinlessly