Summary: 7 offerings of Himself to the world that God so loves. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Billy Sunday once said,
The Supreme Offering of Christ To the World!
We want to look at 7 offerings of Himself to the world that God so loves. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Billy Sunday once said, There are two hundred and fifty-six names given in the Bible for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I suppose this was because He was infinitely beyond all that any one name could express.
I. The offering of Himself was PREDICTED in Psalms 40:6-8 (KJV)
Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
- vs7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
- vs8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
II. His body was prepared for Him. Hebrews 10:5 (KJV)
Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
III. He was proclaimed in Luke 2:11 (KJV)
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
IV. He was purified for us in Hebrews 9:12-14 (KJV)
Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
- vs13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
- vs14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
A. He did this to fulfill the promise of the new covenant
B. Martin Luther had a dream in which he stood on the day of judgment before God Himself--and Satan was there to accuse him. When Satan opened his books full of accusations, he pointed to transgression after transgression of which Luther was guilty. As the proceedings went on, Luther's heart sunk in despair. Then he remembered the cross of Christ--and turning upon Satan, he said, "There is one entry which you have not made, Satan." The Devil retorted, "What is that?" And Luther answered, "It is this--the blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanseth us from all sins."
V He was personalized Hebrews 7:27
Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
A. He did not send an angel, God came Himself to pay the price for our sins.
VI. He was perfected as He offered Himself for us. Hebrews. 10:11-14 (KJV)
And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
- vs12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
- vs13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
- vs14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
VII. He is our Praise! Ephesians 5:2