Summary: How to stand against the devil
INTRO: Herschel Walker trade, MN traded 8 starters & draft picks for this one player because he was such explosive offensive weapon (good trade). - See this in sports community, looking for greatest weapon (Michael Jordon in basketball, Nolan Ryan pitching baseball, .Emmitt Smith in football, talk about boxers greatest weapon right hook, left uppercut, jab.
- Discovery shows "weapons" talks about weapons systems build looking for the ultimate Weapon where enemy will have no defense. Countries are spending billions, trillions of dollars trying to find the answer. The truth of the matter is we have the greatest weapon ever made – "The Bible".
TITLE: "Sword of the Spirit - Dressed to Kill"
Series: Dress for Success
REVIEW: Paul chain Roman soldier, house arrest in Rome and he’s writing this letter to the church at Ephesus, describing spiritual truths of giving the analogy of his Roman capture armor.
TEXT: Ephesians 6:10- 11, 17 (read)
I. History of Sword
A. Gladius - long heavy 3 ft long, took 2 hands, sharp on one side, other side dull (esthetically beautiful)
1. Not good for combat - fought hand to hand. Sword very heavy & bulky
a Carthagions - defeated Romans Hannibal elephants crossed the Alps into Rome. Italy from Carthage North Africa. Romans used this Gladius were beaten badly.
b. Carthagion Sword – Micra short 19 inches long, sharp on both sides, sharp point meant to kill, very deadly, stab individual when pulling twist pulling it, out would come the inner body.
Like Modern day 44 Magnum of today
1. Romans after defeat went to this sword micra
- This is the word in the GK, Paul writes about the micra of the spirit, an offensive weapon used to kill enemy
II. Word of God – 2 GK word that describe the Word of God
A. Logos - concept of the whole Bible from Gen - Rev. Word of God given to all mankind, Bible in your hand described as the Word of God (revealed word for all mankind)Sermon Mount, fruits & gift of Spirit, 10 commandments
1. God revelation to man for everyone, logos of God or word of God.
2. Logos is not word used here, the word used is Rhema.
B. Rhema - This is the GK word used here by Paul.
1.Vines "expository dictionary of NT" defines a Rhema as an individual scripture the Holy Spirit brings to our remembrance in times of need. A specific word, promise, verse.
- Like a sword in our hand to counter the enemy
2.So Logos (1st word) - reference to the whole Bible
- Apostle John picks up the meaning in John 1:1 "In the beginning was the word (logos), and the word (logos) was with God, and the word (logos) was God."
- Jesus for all people, just as God’s word is for all people.
3.Rhema - specific individual scripture or scriptures dealing with specific things in our lives when need direction or strength, encouragement.
C.When does Rhema come
1. Happens all the time if we pay attention
- During Sunday school, teacher teaching relate to something we have been struggling with.
- During preaching God takes a concept or principle and relates it to your life and maybe something you should deal with.