Summary: Forty- eight boards standing in sockets of Silver covered by five coverings!!! What golden nuggets await us here!
THE BOARDS AND BARS
Ex. 26:15-29; Ex. 36:24-34
We now come to the study of the tabernacle proper. This building was forty-five feet long, fifteen feet wide, and divided into two rooms. It was made of forty-eight boards which stood in sockets of silver. There were twenty boards on each side and eight on the west end of the tabernacle. These boards stood up¬right. Over the top there were five coverings. We will study the coverings in our next lesson.
1. The number of boards.
• As noted above, there were forty-eight boards.
• That these boards repre¬sented Christ, there can be no doubt….and
• We shall look at them also from the standpoint of the believers who make up the body of Christ
1 Cor 12:12
For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one
body: so also is Christ.
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the
household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself
being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the
1 Pet 2:4-7
“To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also,
as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to
God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone
elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is
precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the
head of the corner,..”
• F ur is the number of earth; twelve is the number of government.
• Four times twelve would in¬dicate government on earth.
• In the next age, when the believers are glorified together with Christ, they shall reign with Him on earth
And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because
they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
1 Cor 6:2
Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy
judge the smallest matters?
And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. (The believer is so united with Christ that they
said to be "of His flesh and of His bones")
*Interesting to note the boards were all in an upright position and held together by bars of gold. They also were standing on a foundation of silver. We, as believers, stand upright (righteous) in our position before God.
• Just as the bars held the tabernacle together Jesus is the Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end. He is the
reason for the church and holds the church together …the beginning of the church and the end of it also. The
frame work all set on a foundation of silver. Silver speaks of redemption!!!!
• These boards were made of acacia wood.
• You will remember from our study on the Altar this was a tough, almost indestructible wood obtained from a
• To look at that tree, in its natural state, no one would have thought that it would have become the habitat of
• But it was cut down, hewed by the axe, and finally became the boards of the tabernacle.
• In the boards we see Christ’s two fold nature
• The incorruptible Acacia wood speaks of his human nature
• The Gold speaks of his DEVINE nature
• He was man and he was God…
• AS MAN HE WAS WITHOUT SIN
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points
tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in
Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
• HE WAS PURE HOLY SINLESS…EVEN IN DEATH HE SAW NO CORRUPTION …scripture says that he came in the
LIKENESS of sinful flesh….yet he had no sin himself!
• Gold spoke of the deity of Christ. He was God