Summary: Tax season is upon us....right now many of us are either celebrating or are discouraged due to the "tax" that has been put upon us. Taxes and sin are one in the same and Satan is the dirty "Uncle Satan" who dives into our spiritual pockets robbing us of G
A couple was strolling along an ocean side beach and noticed a bottle floating in the water. They waded out toward it and saw it contained a note. They eagerly opened the bottle and read the note. It said: "I’m marooned on a tropical island. There’s no pollution, traffic, noise, politicians, or taxes. Eat your heart out."
Lastly and perhaps most importantly this 8th commandment encourages us to become generous persons. I love the story of the IRS auditor who was talking with a minister on the phone---He asked, “Now this Joe Smith that I’m talking about…does he attend your church?” “Yes, he does,” the preached replied and then asked, “Why do you need to know? Is he in some kind of trouble?” “Well, no, but then again maybe, yes.” the auditor continued, “You see Joe claimed on his taxes that he’s given a large gift to your church. So tell me, has Joe given your church a gift of $5000?” The quick thinking preacher answered, “If he hasn’t---he will!”
How many of us know what time of year it is? TAX TIME!
Some of us are happy because we got returns coming….and some of us are not-so-happy because we have to pay!
Here are some TAX FACTS:
• The first income tax ever was in 1404 in England.
• The first property tax in the United States was in 1798 and it was on land, houses, and slaves.
• The first US income tax started during in the Civil War to help raise money back in 1862.
• Drug Tax Stamps – In at least 23 states there is a tax on illegal drugs. When you buy an illegal drug, like marijuana or even moonshine, in Tennessee, you have 48 hours to report it to the Department of Revenue to pay your tax and get a stamp for the substance. No identification is needed!
• “Jock tax” – Levied on athletes who earn an income competing in a particular city or state. California first levied this tax on athletes from Chicago in 1991 after the Chicago Bulls beat the LA Lakers in the 1991 NBA Finals. What a bunch of sore losers!
• Alabama has a 10 cent tax on a deck of playing cards.
• “Fountain soda drinks” in Chicago are taxed at 9%, if it comes in a bottle or can then it’s only taxed at 3%.
There’s no escaping from it…just like the old saying goes, “The only things that are certain is DEATH and TAXES!”
But is it? Does your walk with Jesus Christ suggest differently?
Separate yourselves from the thought of taxes only being financial concerns…what about the taxing of our spirit, of our heart, of our minds?
In many cases, these taxes are the taking away of something pure that God has intended for our lives. Sin results when we allow the world to debt from us the Holy Spirit’s influence on our lives and weaken our relationship with Jesus.
Satan TAXES our lives by:
o James 1:19-20, “My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”