Summary: Almost like the 3 Stooges, the Bible describes 3 types of fools: the Mental Fool, the Mocking Fool, and the Material Fool. We need to examine ourselves to make sure we don't fall into one of these three categories.
THE THREE FOOLS
1. The Three Stooges were a comedy act that built on the ignorance of 3 men: Moe, Larry, & Curly. In this episode, Curly’s trying to save a woman’s reputation and displays his fear of mice and penchant for cheese.
2. Though the 3 Stooges were foolish, they weren’t “fools” in the Biblical sense. Listen to Ps. 14:1-7, Living Bible.
“That man is a fool who says to himself, “There is no God!” Anyone who talks like that is warped and evil and cannot really be a good person at all. 2 The Lord looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who are wise, who want to please God. 3 But no, all have strayed away; all are rotten with sin. Not one is good, not one! 4 They eat my people like bread and wouldn’t think of praying! Don’t they really know any better? 5 Terror shall grip them, for God is with those who love him. 6 He is the refuge of the poor and humble when evildoers are oppressing them. 7 Oh, that the time of their rescue were already here, that God would come from Zion now to save his people. What gladness when the Lord has rescued Israel!”
Ps. 14:1-6, Living Bible.
1. In Matthew 5:22, the Lord Jesus warned us that calling another person a “fool” puts us in danger of the “fires of hell.”
2. Maybe we need to be a lot more careful of what we say! If the word “fool” holds such consequences, what will other more serious cuss words result in?
3. Paul said, “But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.” Eph. 5:3-4.
4. Yet God describes in Scripture 3 types of “fools.” They are all around us, and we need to check ourselves to see if we fit into any of their descriptions.
I. THE MENTAL FOOL
Ps 14:1, “The fool hath said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’”
A. IS NOT MENTAL, BUT RATHER A MORAL PROBLEM
1. Here is an intellectual atheist. The word “fool” doesn’t mean they are dumb, or uneducated, or stupid. It means they are “morally deficient” -- lacking in their moral component.
2. He/she thinks they can cast off fear of God and acts as if he can safely disregard the Person and righteous standard that God has set up.
3. Someone has said, “If there’s no God, then I don’t need to bother about keeping His commandments.”
4. Aldous Huxley said he supported [evolution] because Creationism/ theism “interfered with our sexual freedom” (Ends and Means, 1937).
5. The sceptic doesn’t WANT to believe in God, because his godless creed allows his godless lifestyle!
B. ATHEISM VIOLATES THE EVIDENCE
“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Gen 1:1). To say there’s no God is to deny the plainest evidence, to oppose the almost universal testimony of man to the divine, and to stifle the conscience, which bears witness.