Summary: A MESSAGE FOR THE BELIEVER/NON BELIEVER ON VALENTINE’S DAY.
“THE THREE LOVERS”
(Valentine’s Service – 2002)
· Share the History of Valentines Day
TITLE: “The Three Lovers”
· (Illustration – “Husband in the costume”)
“THE THREE LOVERS”
I. THE LOVE OF THIS WORLD
2 Tim 4:9-11
9 Do your best to come to me quickly,
10 for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia.
11 Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry.
A. Paul wanted Timothy’s company and help; and the reason he gives is because several had left him.
· Timothy was an Evangleist, a good friend of Paul, he was Paul’s spiritual son. Timothy was not a Pastor that was settled in one place, thus making it possible for him to tend to the needs of the Apostles.
B. Paul mentiones one of the people who had left him.
· One would ask ..
“WHY DID DEMAS QUIT ON PAUL?”
1. Fear of suffering (because Paul was now a prisoner, and he was afraid
of coming into trouble upon his account)
· One of the biggest mistakes a person can make is to quit on God because the journey seems to difficult!
· “I would rather fail in a cause that will ultimately succeed, than to succeed in a cause that will ultimately fail”.
· “Do not be surprise at the painful trial you are suffering as of though something strange were happening to you”.
· “Problems are everywhere and everyone has them, if you can’t do anything about your problem, then it’s not yours, it’s God’s!”
· (Call up Sister Candy for a personal interview about her miracle).
2. He was called off from his ministry by secular affairs and he fell in
love with the world.
a. Why did Demas depart to Thessalonica?
Answer: It’s believed that it was a trade, or by some other
· Crescens had gone one way and Titus another way. But never the less, Paul was deserted for the love of this world.
The First lover is ..
I. THE LOVE OF THIS WORLD.
II. THE LOVE OF GOD
8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
13 We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God.
16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
A. “God hates the sin but loves the sinner”.
B. The Bible just read … “This is how God showed his love among us: He