Hosea 10:1-15 THE TIME
I. THE CALL FOR REVIVAL!
13 Ye have plowed wickedness, ye have reaped iniquity; ye have eaten the fruit of lies: because thou didst trust in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men.
I. HUNGER OF HEART 1 Israel is an empty vine, he bringeth forth fruit unto himself: according to the multitude of his fruit he hath increased the altars; according to the goodness of his land they have made goodly images.
1. Trusting in Their Own Riches – 1 Israel is an empty vine
2. Trusting in Their Own Righteousness – he bringeth forth fruit unto himself
3. Trusting in Their Own Religion – according to the multitude of his fruit he hath increased the altars
II. HESITANCY OF HEART 2 Their heart is divided; now shall they be found faulty: he shall break down their altars, he shall spoil their images.
1. A Double Heart - 1Ki 18:21 And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.
2. A Deceitful Heart -not Real – Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
3. A Divided Heart – Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
4. A Deceived Heart – 2Tim 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
III. HOSTILITY OF HEART 3 For now they shall say, We have no king,
John 19:15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.
IV. HEEDLESSNESS OF HEART - 11 And Ephraim is as an heifer that is taught, and loveth to tread out the corn; but I passed over upon her fair neck: I will make Ephraim to ride; Judah shall plow, and Jacob shall break his clods.
Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
V. HARDNESS OF HEART 12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
Fallow Ground - Unplowed - was fruitful and can be fruitful again.
II. THE CONDITIONS OF REVIVAL!
12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.
Personal Examination - 12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness,
Painful Cultivation - break up your fallow ground
(a) A SOWING “sow to yourselves in righteousness!”
Galatians 6:7, “whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”
(b) A GROWING “reap in mercy!”
“in mercy.” It is always undeserved and unmerited – an act of His wonderful grace.
(c) A HOEING “break up your fallow ground.”