Summary: Esther had many good qualities but she was not a person I would want my daughter to emulate in all of her ways
THE TRAGEDY OF A ONE NIGHT STAND
7/8/09 Esther 2:1-20
1. Some Realities We need to Face
a. Mordecai – Tribe of Benjamin – related Saul
1. Grandfather was Shemei – threw rocks at David
i. Zadok wanted to cut his head off – David stopped him
2. 60 yrs earlier Jews were permitted to return Jerus
i. Find Mord. here and serving Persian’s
ii. should have returned w/Nehemiah or Ezra
iii. some say - a eunuch – disqualified worship
3. Whatever reason he was not a practicing Jew
i. Knew teachings of Torah – did not keep
ii. Certain things would not do–most things would
b. Esther – around 20 – 25 yrs. old
1. Areas of Her Life-Never want Daughters –emulate
i. Denial of Her Faith
ii. Violation of God’s Word
Married a non Jew & sex-outside of marriage
Whether by rape or willingness sex did occur
iii. Married to a drunken bully
no record of her after his death – executed
could have been put aside herself
2. There are Some Areas that are Commendable
i. Beauty – inward instead of outward
ii. Modesty – beauty was a gift not a right
iii. Integrity – sudden fame did not change
iv. Decisiveness – time to act came she acted!!
2. Some Concessions We Need to Make
a. Purpose of the Book - not to teach about man
i. Not Love story between Esther & Ahaserus
ii. “One Night with the King” – not fact or Bible
b. Purpose is to teach of
i. God’s Hand in History
ii. God’s Love for Israel
iii. God’s blessings on those who love Israel
1.GOSPEL PRINCIPLE OF SOWING & REAPING IS ALWAYS IN EFFECT V. 1
A. What’s Done Usually Can’t Be Undone
1. Remembered Vashti’s Beauty
2. Remembered Her Loyalty
a. If she had showed herself – considered adultery
3. Too Late! – That’s How it is – think after the fact
a. Filled up with “if onlys” and “what ifs”
B. Laws of Sowing & Harvest
Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
2 Corinthians 9:6 But this I say, He which sows sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which sows bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2. BAD COUNSELORS USUALLY GIVE BAD COUNSEL Vs. 2-4
A. Don’t Try to Right A Wrong
1. Jesus said Matthew 5:23-24 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has ought against you; 24 Leave there your gift before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
2. Zacheus said “if I have stolen I will repay”
a. Jesus said “this day salvation Has come”
B. Judge Person’s Worth -Outward Appearance
1. “Fair Young Virgins”
2. Jesus -What was important came from heart
1 Peter 3:3-4 (NCV) It is not fancy hair, gold jewelry, or fine clothes that should make you beautiful. 4 No, your beauty should come from within you—the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit that will never be destroyed and is very precious to God.
One lady said, “I smiled the other day when I came across the results of a survey which found that 15% of the women questioned tinted their hair, 22% wore false eyelashes, 38% periodically wore wigs or hairpieces, 80% wore rouge or some kind of facial cosmetics, 93% used nail polish, 98% wore some kind of eye makeup, and 100% voted in favor of a resolution condemning any kind of false packaging.”
3. HARD TIMES DOES NOT HAVE TO MAKE HARD PEOPLE Vs. 5-9
4. RESPECT AND CARE FOR YOUR PARENTS DOES NOT END WHEN YOU MOVE OUT V. 10
5. CONCERN FOR YOUR CHILDREN DOES NOT END WHEN THEY MOVE OUT V. 11
A. More Prayer than Pacing!
B. More Faith than Fear!
C. More Peace than Plotting
6. THE WORLD’S MIGHT AND PLANS MEAN NOTHING TO GOD Vs. 12-14
Isaiah 14:24 The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:
Job 42:2 I know that you can do every thing, and that no thought can be with held from you.
Ephesians 1:11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who works all things after the counsel of his own will:
Matthew 6:8 Be not you therefore like unto them: for your Father knows what things you have need of, before you ask him.
Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
7. REAL WISDOM IS KNOWING GOOD ADVICE WHEN YOU HEAR IT! Vs. 15-19