Summary: Every one of us are blessed beyond measure if we have a relationship with Jesus Christ. We have accepted the invitation that He has given. Why waste what God has so graciously given?
Last Monday night during the football game, I heard this statement, “It is a tragedy to waste a mind.” How true it is, but greater still, “To waste a whole life.”
1. In verse 8, the words, “vexed his righteous soul from day to day. Vexed means to disturb, provoke, trouble, irritation, and great sorrow. How true these words are concerning the man that I want us to look at today, Lot.
2. Not only true of Lot but a lot of Christians today, Why?
a. Reason: Luke 12:15
b. Answer: 1 Timothy 6:6-8
3. Now what does it mean to waste your life, and just what does a person waste when they waste their life?
I. Many Christians are Wasting Their Time
1. Genesis 19; “and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom.”
2. 2 Peter 2:8; vexed his righteous soul from day to day.
a. This is how every person wastes their life, a day at a time, from day to day.
b. I wonder how many here this morning have said, “Tomorrow, I will be saved, serve God, got to church, be baptized, join the church.” We know it is right, but tomorrow. Wasting your time.
3. Redeem the time because the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. Romans 13:11-14
4. Redeem the time because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:16-17
5. How to redeem:
a. Walk, manner of life, honestly. Romans 13:13
b. Walk circumspectly, Ephesians 5:15
c. Walk in wisdom; Colossians 4:4-6.
6. Redeem the time because we will answer to God for how we used it. 2 Corinthians 5:10
II. Many Christians are Wasting Their Talent
2. God gives unto his servant’s talents, gifts, and abilities. Matthew 25:15
3. As in Noah’s day, it will be in the day Jesus comes again. People living and serving self. Luke 17:26-30
a. Why? Not using what God has given him.
b. Many here today are like this man. We are not using what God has given to us.
III. Many Christians are Wasting Their Treasures
1. Many do not have their heart in God’s work. Heart and money go hand in hand. Matthew 6:19-21
2. God does not ask much of man; but he asks all there is of him.
a. If God does not have your treasure, he does not have you. Luke 18:18-24
b. When you know how a man earns, invests, and spends his money, you know a great deal about him.
3. All the wealth in this world belongs to God. He is the owner, and he can and will do with it as he pleases.
a. Psalm 50:10-12; 24:1
c. Do not mistake it. What you have, is given to you by God.
4. God says, “If you give, I will give.”
b. Luke 6:38; God can still touch the hearts of men and women today.
5. I say many are wasting their treasures in this life and the one to come.
a. How can you stop wasting your treasure?
b. Tithe, missions giving, just give as God impresses you.
IV. Many Christians Have a Wasted Testimony
1. Genesis 19:14; He seemed as one that mocked his sons-in-law.
2. This is one thing we all have and is either used for good or for evil for the cause of Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:2
3. Now, how does one waste their testimony?
a. Unfaithfulness to God’s house. His commands.
b. Unfair business dealings, working on the job.
4. Everything you say you say as a Christian. Everything you do, you do as a Christian.
a. On the job. What time does the service start?
b. Regardless of your position in life, your abilities. People see you first as a Christian.
5. In closing ask, “What is the result of wasted time, talents, treasure, and testimony.”
a. Lot became useless to God.
b. Lot became helpless to keep or help his family.
c. Lot lost everything because he wasted his life and did not serve the Lord.
6. How about you? Your time, talents, treasures, and testimony, are they being used for God or for yourself?
a. Only one life will soon be pass and only what is done for Christ will last, but it will last and last, and last.
7. Some of you need to start over here at this altar this morning, will you come?