The Smith’s were proud of their family tradition. Their ancestors had come to America on the Mayflower. Their line had included Senators, Pastors, & Wall Street wizards.
Now they decided to compile a family history, a legacy for the children. They hired a well known author. Only one problem arose: how to handle that great-uncle George who was executed in the electric chair. But the author said not to worry, he could handle that section of history tactfully.
When the book appeared, the family turned to the section on Uncle George.
There, they read "George Smith occupied a chair of applied electronics at an important government institution, was attached to his position by the strongest of ties, & his death came as a real shock
We change, add manipulate facts even Bible stories to make them palatiable, to fit our image or picture: Jonah and the whale
Satan as ugly - horns and a tail
Jesus was a baby when the three kings
noah and the dove
jesus was white
the tree of good and evil was an apple tree that it was sin
But what do we really know about the the tree of good and evil - instead of believing because that was what we were taught through the generations lets look at the bible
I. THE TREE
1. pleasing to the eye
2. good for food
3. in the middle of the garden
4. it was good and evil
5. it was next to the tree of life
6. must not eat from it
7. you will die
B. words for purpose, precise - reverse order
1. God was clear it is the wrong choice - you must not eat from it
2. you will die = spiritual not physical - Adam and Eve ate from it and didn’t physically die - they were separated from God
3. choice of tree of life or tree of good and evil
4. good and evil - -
a) lived in good
b) Adam and Eve already knew right and wrong
c) not good or evil but both
5. middle ground
a) why significant
b) not one or the othr
6. look good and pleasing to the eye but it wasn’t
III. Tree of Good and Evil translated to modern times
A. Politically correct
B. relative truth
1. Standford Research Institute was studying the differenceces in vocational perceptioons. They devised a short but succinct test. The first to be tested was an engineer. The researchers asked him, What does two plus two make? The engineer simply said, In absolute terms: four. Afther making their notes and dismissing him they called an architect. To the same question, he responded, Well there are several possibilities two and tow make four but so does three and one –or two point fiive and one point five - the also make four so it is all a matter of choosing the right option. The researchers thanked him and made their notes. Finally they called an attorney. When he heard the question he looked arround slyly asked if he could close the door for privacy and then came over close leaned toward them and said Well tell me what would you like it to be?
C. That is what I believe is the epitome of the tree of good and evil today?
1. an individual decision about what is true
2. truth is what you want it to be/ Truth for one person may not be true for another.