Summary: Palm Sunday Sermon (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
The Triumphant Entry
Reading: John chapter 12 verses 12-36.
• A little boy was sick on Palm Sunday and stayed home from church with his mother.
• His father returned from church holding a palm branch.
• The little boy was curious and asked,
• "Why do you have that palm branch, dad?"
• "You see, when Jesus came into town, everyone waved Palm Branches to honour him,
• So we got Palm Branches today."
• "Typical!” replies the little boy;
• “The one Sunday I miss is the Sunday that Jesus shows up!"
• As Christians we believe Jesus shows up every week!;
• But so often he isn’t recognised!
When a male baby was born to Jewish parents:
• There hope was ; ‘is this the one?’
• They were looking for the Messiah!
• Yet, when the Messiah came;
• Sadly they failed to recognise him!
• The British conductor, Sir Thomas Beecham
• Founded a number of orchestras including the Beecham Symphony Orchestra,
• The London Philharmonic Orchestra and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
• Once saw a distinguished-looking woman in a hotel foyer.
• Believing he knew her, but unable to remember her name,
• He paused to talk with her.
• As the two chatted, he vaguely recollected that she had a brother.
• Hoping for a clue,
• He asked how her brother was and whether he was still working at the same job.
• “Oh, he’s very well,” she said, “And he’s still king.”
Jesus had visited Jerusalem many times before:
• As a boy, as a worshipper, as a teacher.
• But never as a king.............. that is until now!
• The question is:
• Would the people and the religious leaders recognise him!
The road to the cross was a road of:
(1). Road of Destiny (verses 12-13):
“The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem.
Some time ago, a man was trying to trace his family origin.
• In the process of his research he visited several cemeteries
• Collecting information from the various gravestones.
• At one place he came across a monument with the following inscription:
‘Pause now stranger, as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so soon you’ll be.
Prepare yourself to follow me.’
• Next to the marker,
• He noticed someone had placed a board with the following words:
• ‘To follow you, I’m not content
• Until I know, which way you went’.
Jesus was on the right road, heading in the right direction (Quote: verse 12):
“The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast
heard that Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem.
• 14th day of Nissan;
• Was a date etched into the minds of all good Jewish people.
• This was the day to celebrate Passover.
• Passover is around March-April and is concurrent with our Good Friday and Easter.
This was one of the great festivals of the Jewish year when the people reminded themselves:
• Of the dramatic way in which God had saved them,
• Miraculously rescued them from their Egyptian task-masters (Exodus chapter 12).
• So it was a time of fun and excitement;
• A party time atmosphere would be in the air.
• Large numbers of people would make the trip to Jerusalem.