Summary: As Jesus came into Jerusalem the week before He was crucified, the crowds recognized Him as Who He really was: The King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
The triumphant entry of the King (Matt. 21:1-9)
· . Isa 9:says; “Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end”
· Da 7:14. “To Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom that all peoples and nations and languages should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion. Which shall not pass away, and His kingdom will not be destroyed.”
These are the events of our Lord’s last week of ministry;
Sunday—Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem
Monday—Jesus cleanses the temple of the money changers
Tuesday—Controversies with the Jewish leaders
Wednesday—maybe a day of rest
Thursday—Preparation for the Passover and The Lord’s supper is instituted.
Friday—Trial and Crucifixion of Jesus
Saturday—Jesus body rests in the tomb while Jesus descends to the lowest parts of the earth and takes keys of death away from Satan
Sunday—Jesus rises from the dead
The Jewish day went from sundown to sundown, so that our Thursday evening would be their Friday, the Day of Passover.
· Palm Sunday was the first day of the last week of Jesus life on earth
I. Jesus deserved all of the praises;
The Bible says that Jesus sent two of His disciples to bring a donkey and colt to Him.
Horses were used by the wealthy, or to go to war.
-Christ’s entry into Jerusalem on a donkey was symbolic of his humility
- of his peaceful intentions.
· (Verses 21:4, 5) The donkey fulfilled predictions by Isaiah and Zechariah:
“Tell the daughter of Zion, Behold, your King is coming to you, Lowly and sitting on a donkey”
Jesus had fulfilled all the Prophecies concerning Christ, up to this point this point. And by the time this time next Sunday He would have fulfilled all of the others concerning the coming of the Messiah.
1. as being the Son of God. Ps 2:7.
a. Fulfilled. Lu 1:32, 35.
2. as being the seed of the woman. Ge 3:15.
a. Fulfilled. Ga 4:4.
3. as coming from the seed of Abraham. Ge 17:7; 22:18.
a. Fulfilled. Ga 3:16.
4. as being from the seed of Isaac. Ge 21:12.
a. Fulfilled. Heb 11:17-19.
5. as being from the seed of David. Ps 132:11; Jer 23:5.
a. Fulfilled. Ac 13:23; Ro 1:3.
6. Coming at a specific time. Ge 49:10; Da 9:24, 25.
a. Fulfilled. Lu 2:1.
7. His being born of a virgin. Isa 7:14.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 1:22, 23; Lu 2:7.
8. The slaying of the children of Bethlehem. Jer 31:15.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 2:16-18.
9. Jesus being called Immanuel. Isa 7:14.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 1:22, 23.
10. Jesus being born in Bethlehem. Mic 5:2.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 2:1; Lu 2:4-6.
11. Great people coming to adore him. Ps 72:10.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 2:1-11.
12. His being called out of Egypt. Ho 11:1.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 2:15.
13. His being preceded by John the Baptist. Isa 40:3; Mal 3:1.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 3:1,3; Lu 1:17.
14. Jesus being anointed with the Spirit. Ps 45:7; Isa 11:2; 61:1.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 3:16; John 3:34; Ac 10:38.
15. His being a Prophet like to Moses. De 18:15-18.
a. Fulfilled. Ac 3:20-22.
16. Being a Priest after the order of Melchizedek. Ps 110:4.
a. Fulfilled. Heb 5:5, 6.
17. Entering into public ministry. Isa 61:1, 2.
a. Fulfilled. Lu 4:16-21, 43.
18. His ministry starting in Galilee. Isa 9:1,2.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 4:12-16, 23.
19. His entering publicly into Jerusalem. Zec 9:9.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 21:1-5.
20. His coming into the temple. Hag 2:7, 9; Mal 3:1.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 21:12; Lu 2:27-32; Joh 2:13-16.
21. His poverty. Isa 53:2.
a. Fulfilled. Mr 6:3; Lu 9:58.
22. His meekness. Isa 42:2.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 12:15, 16, 19.
23. His tenderness and compassion. Isa 40:11; 42:3.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 12:15, 20; Heb 4:15.
24. Jesus being without guile. Isa 53:9.
a. Fulfilled. 1Pe 2:22.
25. His zeal. Ps 69:9.
a. Fulfilled. Joh 2:17.
26. His preaching by parables. Ps 78:2.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 13:34, 35.
27. His working miracles. Isa 35:5, 6.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 11:4-6; Joh 11:47.
28. His bearing reproach. Ps 22:6; 69:7, 9, 20.
a. Fulfilled. Ro 15:3.
29. His being rejected by his brethren. Ps 69:8; Isa 63:3.
a. Fulfilled. Joh 1:11; 7:3.
30. His being a stone of stumbling to the Jews. Isa 8:14.
a. Fulfilled. Ro 9:32; 1Pe 2:8.
31. His being hated by the Jews. Ps 69:4; Isa 49:7.
a. Fulfilled. Joh 15:24, 25.
32. His being rejected by the Jewish rulers. Ps 118:22.
a. Fulfilled. Mt 21:42; Joh 7:48.
OTHER PROPHECIES THAT WOULD MATERIALIZE WITHIN THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS;
1. That the Jews and Gentiles would come against Him. Ps 2:1, 2.
a. Fulfilled. Lu 23:12; Ac 4:27.
2. Being betrayed by a friend (Judas) Ps 41:9; 55:12-14.
a. Fulfilled. Joh 13:18, 21.