Summary: On April 28, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for and against redefining marriage in America. The very institution of God's design for marriage as only between one man and one woman is on trial. As Christians, we MUST take a stand!
The Two Become One
- Pastor Adrian Rogers, “Man is far superior than woman, at being a man. Woman is far superior than man, at being a woman. The differences are amazing and natural.”
- On Tuesday, April 28, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for and against redefining marriage in America. The very institution of God's design for marriage as only between one man and one woman is on trial.
- As hard as it is to believe, nine people will decide if our nation will honor God and obey Him, or turn its back on the most fundamental building block of society and on God himself.
- This morning, our sermon will be different than ones previously taught
-- FACT: I barely recognize our nation anymore – and it needs to stop
- It is the calling of the church to have a voice (ref: 1 Peter: STAND FAST!)
-- Ephesians 6:13, “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”
- Read Genesis 2:18-25 / Pray
- FACT: Adam didn’t find a mate suitable for him when he named all the animals
-- So with that knowledge, here are a couple of things that leap right out for us:
• Bestiality is not God’s Design.
• God made a woman for Adam, not another man.
• Homosexuality is not God’s design.
• God made one woman for Adam, not two women.
• Polygamy is not God’s design either. (God did not create multiple women)
TRANS: On the contrary, there is a very specific order that the two have
∆ Point 1 - The Positions of the TWO
- Ephesians 5:23, “The husband is the head of the wife as also Christ is the
head of the Church.”
- Let’s set some important facts for us to consider … just how are they different?
A. Physical Roles
1 Peter 3:7, “Husbands, in the same way, live with your wives with understanding of their weaker nature yet showing them honor.”
• Men are the provider and the protector (they are physically stronger)
• Women are the nurturers (They are physically softer)
• He has more energy. Men are designed to work; they are created to work
• She has more durability. Women are the support structure to family
- IMP: It’s when the lines are blurred that we lose the ability to tell the difference
- TRANS: Even how they reason and communicate is totally different …
∆ Point 2 – The Communications of the TWO
- Turn to Song of Solomon, Chapter 3
- Men and women communicate and respond to one another very differently
- The book Song of Solomon is a dramatic writing for today
- It is an incredible love story for us to see and learn from
- Primarily, it captures the conversation of two lovers writing about one another
-- Note: Some say reflects God’s relationship with Israel; or Christ with the world
--- But the visual and physical descriptions show us much more to learn from
- Look at the descriptions of how they are each viewed here:
• She writes: v3:1-4
• He responds: v4:1-7
- The description of how one feels about another is clear:
• Each has a desire for the other; to spend time with them
• There is an intimate longing between these two
• Men respond to physical sight (see his remembrance of her? Describes her.)
• Women respond to intimacy (see the desire she has? Searches for him.)
- TRANS: It shows how each relates to the other (different) in their design
∆ Point 3 – The Needs of the TWO
- Each has a specific need that is fulfilled by the other; Solomon is clear
-- But look at it from the beginning; it was always intended to be this way
-- Genesis 2:20-21, “So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh.”
- It is not a mystery that man and woman were brought together for closeness
- It is not a weird thing that there is a physical attraction between the two of them
- It is also not strange that God specifically created one for the other; completeness
Facts to consider:
• The deepest need of the woman is romance. (To be loved; cherished)
• The deepest need of a man is admiration. (To be respected; honored)