Summary: On April 28, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for and against redefining marriage in America. The very institution of God's design for marriage as only between one man and one woman is on trial. As Christians, we MUST take a stand!
The Two Become One
- Pastor Adrian Rogers, “Man is far superior than woman, at being a man. Woman is far superior than man, at being a woman. The differences are amazing and natural.”
- On Tuesday, April 28, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for and against redefining marriage in America. The very institution of God's design for marriage as only between one man and one woman is on trial.
- As hard as it is to believe, nine people will decide if our nation will honor God and obey Him, or turn its back on the most fundamental building block of society and on God himself.
- This morning, our sermon will be different than ones previously taught
-- FACT: I barely recognize our nation anymore – and it needs to stop
- It is the calling of the church to have a voice (ref: 1 Peter: STAND FAST!)
-- Ephesians 6:13, “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”
- Read Genesis 2:18-25 / Pray
- FACT: Adam didn’t find a mate suitable for him when he named all the animals
-- So with that knowledge, here are a couple of things that leap right out for us:
• Bestiality is not God’s Design.
• God made a woman for Adam, not another man.
• Homosexuality is not God’s design.
• God made one woman for Adam, not two women.
• Polygamy is not God’s design either. (God did not create multiple women)
TRANS: On the contrary, there is a very specific order that the two have
∆ Point 1 - The Positions of the TWO
- Ephesians 5:23, “The husband is the head of the wife as also Christ is the
head of the Church.”
- Let’s set some important facts for us to consider … just how are they different?
A. Physical Roles
1 Peter 3:7, “Husbands, in the same way, live with your wives with understanding of their weaker nature yet showing them honor.”
• Men are the provider and the protector (they are physically stronger)
• Women are the nurturers (They are physically softer)
• He has more energy. Men are designed to work; they are created to work
• She has more durability. Women are the support structure to family
- IMP: It’s when the lines are blurred that we lose the ability to tell the difference
- TRANS: Even how they reason and communicate is totally different …
∆ Point 2 – The Communications of the TWO
- Turn to Song of Solomon, Chapter 3
- Men and women communicate and respond to one another very differently
- The book Song of Solomon is a dramatic writing for today
- It is an incredible love story for us to see and learn from
- Primarily, it captures the conversation of two lovers writing about one another
-- Note: Some say reflects God’s relationship with Israel; or Christ with the world
--- But the visual and physical descriptions show us much more to learn from
- Look at the descriptions of how they are each viewed here: