Summary: The interactions between the human and divine nature of Jesus has its complexities, but it is best understood if we look at it in the realm of time.
The Two Natures of Jesus
1. Some people are good at manipulating others through guilt and rubbing it in when you do not give them as much attention as they want.
David called his mother in Florida.
He said to his mother, "Ma, how are you doing?"
She said, "Oh, not too good. I've been very weak."
David then asked, "Why are you so weak?"
She said, "Because I haven't eaten in 38 days."
David then asked, "Ma, how come you haven't eaten in 38 days.?"
She said, "Because I didn't want my mouth to be filled with food when you called."
2. Jesus came to deal with our sin & our real guilt, not our imagined guilt. In response to our salvation, we should logically desire to know more about him, like the old Gospel song, “More about Jesus would I know…”
3. Today’s text is thought to be a creed in poem-like structure; note the parallelism, “firstborn of all creation “ (15) and “firstborn from the dead” (18). Rhythm, repetition of phrases “all things” and “through [or by] him.”
4. So was this a pre-existing creed Paul endorses, or did he compose this creed?
I lean toward the idea that this creed existed before Paul wrote Colossians. Much like the “faithful sayings” he refers to in I and II Timothy.
Main Idea: The interactions between the human and divine nature of Jesus has its complexities, but it is best understood if we look at it in the realm of time.
I. Near Past: Jesus HUMANITY While On Earth (15)
A. He is God INCARNATE
1. God’s image in man is marred because of the CURSE
2. Jesus is the SECOND Adam, but also DEITY, “eikon”
3. He is the image of God as Adam was before the Fall, but, as we shall see, he is fully deity, fully God, which Adam was not.
B. His HUMAN nature is more honored than the rest of creation
1. God the Son has always existed, but the human nature of Jesus began in Mary’s womb; it is more accurate to say God the Son has always existed
2. Example: The color green made from blue and yellow, so green is, in a sense, a separate color, but yellow and blue are within it; so it is with Jesus Christ. The blue existed from all eternity, but 2,000 years ago, the yellow was added.
3. Judaism: Messiah was created and waiting in heaven, just a man
4. God the Son, uncreated, but the human nature to which his divine nature would be joined was planned from eternity but did not exist from eternity
5. I Peter 1:19-20, “… but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you
C. FIRSTBORN means honored heir, not born first
Exodus 4:22, “Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the Lord, Israel is my firstborn son, and I say to you, “Let my son go that he may serve me.”
Ishmael and Isaac reversal [reversal in fortune is a theme in both testaments]
Hebrews 11:17, “By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son….” [NASB]