Summary: This message sums up the Two Witnesses purpose as well as their message in three simple points; 1) There’s a resurrection of life; 2) There’s a focus on worship; and 3) There’s a promise to redeem. Do we live under the same hope today?
The Two Witnesses, Part 3
Revelation, Part 15, Revelation 11:11-18
Introduction (LOTS OF TEACHING AND SCRIPTURE IN THIS)
We’ve seen the two witnesses killed for their testimony – but why?
Because the truth which invades our space makes us uncomfortable
Jesus taught on this clearly: Re-read John 3:16-21 Ω (on screen)
- Read Revelation 11:11-18
Point 1 – The Two Witnesses Resurrected (read v11-14)
- After these men lay in the streets for three days (amidst the celebration …)
-- These men will be raised to life by God himself
- The word says that the breath of life entered them
-- It is important to know that the breath of life that entered them is the SAME breath of life that re-entered Jesus in the tomb
- The witnesses’ physical bodies were dead
-- They are resurrected and then taken up to heaven
-- The same voice that called Lazarus to come from the grave calls them
-- APP: This is the voice of Jesus Christ!
- The resurrection of these men was public, and in full view of the world
-- Due to this miracle, people who witnessed this understood who God is
-- They realized the control they lacked and sought to repent
- When these men were resurrected there was a terrible earthquake
-- At the cross, when Jesus gave up his last breath the Word says in Matthew 27:51-53, “At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared too many people.”
- Side note: MANY bodies resurrected when Jesus died
--- “The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.”
-- This is a totally different message, but I want you to see:
-- When Jesus died – God’s power brought back hundreds, perhaps thousands of holy people who had died to testify for God.
-- Notice where they went to testify about God – Jerusalem!
---“They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city …”
-- IMP: Again, the Word ties into the importance of Israel
-- APP: God’s resurrection power is unbelievable!
In the same hour that the witnesses were resurrected, 7,000 people will die
-- Perhaps they will die of shock? Or being under rubble?
-- The focus here is that more lives will be lost – but see something special:
-- God is specific: 7,000 are predicted to die during this earthquake
- Imagine sitting at home, after the rapture of the church
-- You have a bible in your hand and are following along with the events
-- The news flashes on the screen that 7,000 people have been killed
-- APP: Could that not be a specific confirmation of God’s Word?
-- IMP: God gives us a number here so that we can validate things
-- God’s authority is magnificent to those who would study and learn
Point 2 – The Third and Final Woe (read v15-18)
- INFO: Remember back that the 6th trumpet released on Earth the 200 million horsemen from Satan’s army and they were responsible for the death of 1/3 of the Earth’s remaining population.
- These verses signify the beginning of the 2nd half of the Tribulation
-- This trumpet blowing will represent voices in heaven coming forward
-- They come forward to battle Satan and his army … but more importantly:
-- Verse 15 says that the world has become Jesus’s!
- In Matthew Chapter 4 that Satan offered Jesus the “kingdoms of the world” --- What Satan failed to see is the world already belongs to Jesus!
-- Satan was making Jesus an offer that he could not deliver
-- Why? Because He is the father of lies and deception
-- Matthew 4:10 says “Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”
- The 24 elders in Heaven we’ve discussed now come back into play
-- Their role is part of leadership, but demonstrates worship of Christ
-- Previously they worshiped Him as worthy; now it’s His power!
Ω - Their act of worship to Jesus Christ is clear:
1. Because you have taken power … Satan’s power is removed and God stands supreme!
2. And reigned … Christ will exercise God’s authority over the kingdoms of men.
3. Nations were angry … The nations of the Earth will fight against God’s authority. The second Psalm clearly indicates that there will be a rebellion against God by the Kings of this Earth.