Summary: The Unity Psalm
Matt 18:19 (quickview)  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
The unbelieving Greek writer Lucian (A.D. 120-200) upon observing the warm fellowship of Christians said: “It is incredible to see the fervor with which the people of that religion help each other in their wants. They spare nothing. Their first legislator (Jesus) has put it into their heads that they are brethren.”
“This psalm,”, “was penned by David, as some think when all the tribes of Israel united and chose and anointed him king over them.”
I. The Design Of Unity
A. It Is God’s Design That We Look At Unity
1 A Song of degrees of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
Behold it is a Rare thing, and therefore admirable.
Behold it is a Possible thing, and wonder that there should be so much goodness and pleasantness among men, so much of heaven on this earth!
Behold it is an Amiable thing, which will attract our hearts.
Behold it is an Exemplary thing,
1. Beholding Unity Is Looking At Something Definite
2. Beholding Unity Is Looking At Something Discernible - behold – lo!:-- lo, see.
B. It Is God’s Desire That We Live In Unity
1. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
1. There Is An Element Of Being Settled
dwell – Heb - to sit down (spec. as judge); by impl. to dwell, to remain: to settle, to marry.
2. There Is An Element Of Being Similar
together – a unit, i.e. (adv.) unitedly:
(Gen. 13:8) And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.
Not just brethren in the Human Family or the Home Family, but in the Heavenly Family.
II. The Delight Of Unity
A. Unity Is An Excellent Virtue
(1) Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
1. The Excellence Of This Virtue Is Highlighted
Behold, how – ‘behold for yourself how good and how pleasant.’
2. The Excellence Of This Virtue Is Huge - Behold, how good
B. Unity Is An Enjoyable Virtue
Behold, how good and how pleasant (delightful, sweet.)
1. Unity Is Pleasant Like The Sweet Honey (Taste)
2. Unity Is Pleasant Like The Sweet Harvest (Sight)
3. Unity Is Pleasant Like The Sweet Harmony (Sound)
It is as if David is saying, “How sweet it is!”
III. The Description Of Unity 2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron’s beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;