Summary: While the Gospel is for all men it will not be Received by all men.
THE UNIVERSAL GOSPEL
9/14/08 Romans 5:12-21
1. TEACHES A UNIVERSAL GUILT
1. Disobedience of One Man – Adam
a. sinner by nature
b. born spiritually dead
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.
d two deaths one immediate – spiritual
a. fear entered world >feared God & hid
b. lying; blaming; arguing; every sin spawned
c. disobedience towards the living God
2. Disobedience of All Men – all have sinned
a. Bible very plain – 1 John 1:8 & 10
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. --- 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1. Debt vs. 16
a. judgment – reading of a verdict
b. offense – deviating from - path; going - own way
c. condemnation –
i. kata – throw down hard enough to stick
ii. krima – punishment
2. Death v. 12
a. two aspects
i. separation from God – literally became enemy
ii. separation from life – walking dead men
b. Bible says that we all were dead in trespasses & sin
a. twice in our scripture – death reigned
b. real ruler is seen in vs. 21 SIN HAS REIGNED
c. what a vicious ruler he is; rape- murder- adultery
pornography; lying; cheating; molestation; drunkenness; drugs; tears; heartbreak
d. helpless to do anything against dreaded monarch! Romans 7:15
2. TEACHES A UNIVERSAL GRACE
A. Gift – 5 times; 2-v.15; 2-v.16; 1-v.17;
1. 5 number of grace in the Bible – 3vs - # Godhead
2. gift unearned; undeserved; un-repayable
B. Greater Gift – Grace>mercy where judgment decreed
1. 5xs much more vs. 5; 9; 10; 17; 20 - #of grace
a. two Greek words – plenteous; greatest degree
b. nothing can out sin the Grace of God
c. Un-forgivable sin? dying without Jesus Christ!!!
2. Gift so Great that it un-does what sin did!!!
a. V. 15 Releases from Bankruptcy
b. V. 16 Releases from Blame
c. v. 17 Releases from Bondage
i. vs. 21
3. Christ’s Sacrificial Death – shedding of His blood
a. Greater than all the sin ever sinned!
b. If there is one sin that His blood will not cover
i. sin has triumphed and we are lost!
ii. if we are guilty of one sin – guilty of all!!
4. It is not our doing that saves us or keeps us saved
a. It is our “being” – who we are in Jesus Christ
b. v. 19 – kata (thrown down hard enough to stick)
histemi; to place down (permanently),
c. righteous – innocent & holy
3. TEACHES A UNIVERSAL REQUIREMENT
A. V. 17 they which receive
1. take hold of – get hold of
2. no matter how great the gift never yours until rec’d!!
B. Lost – God has a gift for you greater than all your sin
1. greatest horror of hell reflection of Calvary’s Cross
2. sure knowledge that you are where you are because
YOU DID NOT RECEIVE HIS FREE GIFT!!!!!
C. Saved – Watchman Nee said
1. “in the beginning of our Christian life we are concerned with or doing not with our being”
2. why many struggle and give up or turn to legalism
3. Jesus said in John 10:10 .
I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
TEACHES A UNIVERSAL GUILT
TEACHES A UNIVERSAL GRACE
TEACHES A UNIVERSAL REQUIREMENT