Summary: The Resurrection was unstoppable because Death had no legal right to hold Jesus, because Jesus was the origin of all life & predated death, and because God the Father prophesied that Jesus would rise, and God's words can't return void!
THE UNSTOPPABLE RESURRECTION
1. Kevin Ramsdell is an airline agent specializing in customer service. While on duty at Detroit Metro Airport, he was approached by a woman so upset that he assumed she must have missed a flight or lost a child.
2. “I left a book on a plane!” she told him frantically. Kevin assumed it must be a rare first edition worth a lot of money.
3. “Okay,” he said, “can you describe the book to me?”
“Yes,” she said, “it’s a paperback and the title of it is, “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff.”
4. We shouldn’t sweat the small stuff, but what we’re talking about today is anything but the “small stuff!”
Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. 2 And behold, there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat on it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 And the guards shook for fear of him, and became like dead men. 5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.” Mt. 28:1-7, NKJV.
36 Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, “Peace to you.” 37 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” 40 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, “Have you any food here?” 42 So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. 43 And He took it and ate in their presence. 44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” Lk. 24:36-44, NKJV.
1. Today we celebrate one of the most important days in human history, a day the secular world wants to forget about: the Resurrection of Jesus Christ! But they can’t escape its power!
2. Nikolai Ivanovich Bukharin, during his day, was one of the most powerful men on earth. As a Russian Communist leader, he took part in the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917.
3. He was editor of the Soviet newspaper Pravda (which by the way means ‘truth’), and was a full member of the Politburo. His works on economics and political science are still read today.
4. This man Nikolai Bukharin, traveled from Moscow to Kiev, Ukraine, in 1930 to address a huge assembly on the subject of atheism.
5. He aimed his heavy artillery at Christianity hurling insults, argument, and proof against it. An hour later he was finished. He looked out at what seemed to be the smoldering ashes of men’s faith.
6. “Are there any questions?” Bukharin demanded. Deafening silence filled the auditorium, but then one man approached the platform and mounted the lectern standing near the communist leader.
7. He surveyed the crowd first to the left then to the right. Finally he shouted the ancient greeting known well in the Russian Orthodox Church: “CHRIST IS RISEN!”
8. In-mass the crowd arose as one man and their response came crashing like thunder: “HE IS RISEN INDEED!” The communist retired in defeat!
D. THE ROLL OF RELIGIONS CALLED:
1. MANY PLACES ARE FAMOUS for what they contain:
Pyramids of Egypt -- mummified remains of pharaohs;
Westminster Abbey -- nobles, scholars, writers;
Mohammed's tomb -- stone coffin and its bones;
Arlington Cemetery, D.C. -- honored Americans.
2. But there is one burial place that is famous for what it does NOT contain: the tomb of Jesus Christ of Nazareth! He is not there because He is risen!
3. General Gordon, who discovered the Garden Tomb, had its dust of the tomb of Jesus swept up and tested for any trace of human remains. There were none, because Jesus is Risen!