Summary: This sermon looks at the different tones with which Christ spoke when engaging others.
INTRODUCTION: This is a profound statement. And the truth of it is enough to convince all those who did not believe in the reality of God’s word.
I. FROM THIS WE LEARN:
1. Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"
2. John 1:3 “All things were made by him”
II. CHRIST SPOKE WITH AUTHORITY IN THE REDEMPTION OF THE RACE
1. Exodus 8:1 “Let my people go”
III. CHRIST SPOKE WITH FINALITY ON THE CROSS
1. John 19:30 “It is finished”
2. That is, the work of man’s complete redemption was now completed, in fact Jesus had now paid the full price.
IV. CHRIST SPOKE IN SIMPLICITY HERE ON EARTH
1. “Speaking in parables." That is, in word pictures so that the most uneducated, the most illiterate might understand.
V. CHRIST SPOKE DIRECTLY
1. He spoke about God.
2. He spoke about the joys of heaven.
3. He spoke about the torments of hell.
VI. CHRIST SPOKE ANGERLY IN THE FACE OF HYPROCRISY
1. To the Pharisees. Luke 11:42-44 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them.
2. To the money changers. Matthew 21:12-13 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.
3. To the wise of this world. I Corinthians 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
Romans 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
VII. CHRIST SPOKE TENDERLY TO THOSE IN NEED
1. Christ spoke in tenderness to the children.
2. Tenderly to the widow of Nain, to the woman with the issue of blood, to the fallen woman, to all sinners and wayfarers — when he said, COME UNTO ME ALL YE THAT LABOR AND ARE HEAVY LADEN etc. CONCLUSION: Christ is still speaking today. Through His word, through providence, and through His Holy Spirit.
Is he speaking to you today??