Summary: What does God think about war in general ... the war in Iraq in particular?
“The War With Iraq”
Several things we need to consider:
1.- We must face the reality of evil in the world.
There are some people that you just can’t negotiate with … because they are EVIL.
War is never good … and should be avoided unless it is absolutely the last resort.
- BUT … war is not to be avoided at all costs.
We learned this lesson at WW II.
- Neville Chamberlain, the Prime Minister of Great Britain wanted to avoid war at all costs … they were still weary from WW I.
- Hitler was counting on this … and made plans to over-run Europe.
- In Sept. of 1938 Chamberlain, Italy & France made a pact w/ Hitler … the Munich Pact.
- They would give part of Czechoslovakia to Germany, if Hitler would not invade any other countries.
- Hitler agreed … but all it did was to sell out the people of Czechoslovakia.
- Hitler broke the pact & took over the rest of Czechoslovakia, and invaded Poland … then Europe.
- The Munich Pact is a symbol of the failure of the policy of appeasement … and a failure to understand the reality of evil.
2.- God has given governments the responsibility for the restraint of evil in this world.
We can turn the other way, and let evil continue.
- BUT … God has set up governments & given them the responsibility to protect the world from evil, and to deal with the evil nations.
- We will see this later, in the Scriptures.
We are partners with God, in carrying out His justice, and maintaining peace in this world.
If we choose to avoid having conflict with evil, then we must be prepared to accept the consequences of that decision.
- Nothing is going to stop the aggression of someone who is bent on evil & destruction.
I. THE BIBLICAL HISTORY IN IRAQ
The land of Iraq has a history or perfection turned into evil.
History in Iraq starts out in PERFECTION.
1.- The Garden Of Eden
Located in what is known as the “fertile crescent” … the birthplace of civilization.
The Garden of Eden was located in Iraq – (Gen. 2:10).
2.- The Tower of Babel – located in Iraq – (Gen. 11:1-4)
In Defiance to God … an act of pride & rebellion … God told them to replenish the earth (9:1).
3.- Ur – located in Iraq.
The birthplace of Abraham … where God called him – (Gen. 11:27-28)
God called him OUT OF UR … it was an evil city … worshipped the ‘god of light’ (“Ur”) … tall buildings that reached high into the sky.
4.- Nineveh – located in Iraq.
The capital city of the Assyrian Empire … a wicked city.
The Assyrians were eventually taken over by the Babylonians.
5.- Babylon – located in Iraq.
Became a great city under King Nebuchadnezzar (605 BC).
- Daniel was taken to Babylon when Neb. Conquered Israel.
Babylon is always used as a symbol of evil in the Bible.
- Rev. 17:3-5 – ribbon
II. THE BIBLE ON WAR
Moses chastised the tribes of Reuben & Gad for not going to war Numb. 32:6 – “Shall your brethren go to war, and shall ye sit here?”
1.- What does God think about war?
The Bible is filled with wars … and God told His people Israel many times to wage war on God’s enemies.