Summary: David's desire for water from Bethlehem was prophetic of the believer's desire for the Holy Spirit in Christ. Once you've gotten the taste of Jesus in your mouth, no other water will do! He's worth the fight & effort to obtain.
THE WATERS DAVID CRAVED
1 Chr. 11:9-10, 15-19
A. HUMOR: ALL CHANGE
1. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was visiting New York City. During one of his walks, in full costume and beard, he passed a small snack bar called “Benjy’s Hot Dogs.”
2. As he wanted to try everything, he went into the shop and said, "Make me one with everything."
3. Benjy went to work and soon put together a loaded hot dog. He handed it to the spiritual master who paid him with a $20 bill, which Benjy quickly put into his pocket.
4. "So," asked Maharishi Yogi, "where's my change?"
Benjy folded his arms, closed his eyes, and said in a monotone, "Change must come from within!"
5. He was right! Change must come from within by a recreative work of God. We’re looking at that tonight.
9 So David waxed greater and greater: for the Lord of hosts was with him. 10 These also are the chief of the mighty men whom David had, who strengthened themselves with him in his kingdom, and with all Israel, to make him king, according to the word of the Lord concerning Israel. KJV
15 Three of the thirty chiefs came down to David to the rock at the cave of Adullam, while a band of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. 16 At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. 17 David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” 18 So the Three broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out to the Lord. 19 “God forbid that I should do this!” he said. “Should I drink the blood of these men who went at the risk of their lives?” Because they risked their lives to bring it back, David would not drink it. NIV
1. Tonight we’re going to look at David’s desire for some special well water, who got it for David, their motive, and the symbology of the water & David’s wish.
2. The title of tonight’s message is “The Water David Craved.”
I. DAVID’S 3 FEARLESS DISCIPLES
A. YOU CAN’T OUTGIVE GOD
1. We have here an account of David’s worthies, the great men of his time. There were probably “mighty men” throughout the world, but the only ones that will be honored in eternity are those who worked in the Master’s service!
2. In strengthening God’s man, they strengthened themselves. What we do for the kingdom of God will cause God’s favor and blessing to come upon us; we’ll personally gain by it.
3. The local Church is God’s vehicle for reaching the world. If you serve and work to prosper the church, God will bless YOU for doing so!
B. CASUAL COMMENT OVERHEARD
1. It was harvest-time (2 Sam. 23:13); the weather was hot; David was thirsty; perhaps good water was scarce.
2. David began dreaming of the cold well-waters of Bethlehem, that slaked his thirst as a young man.
3. He casually mentioned how he wished he could have a drink of those waters, and his men overheard him.
C. THE 3 VALIANT MEN
1. Three of them, identified as “THE THREE” -- Eleazar(vs. 12), Abishai (vs. 20), and Benaiah (vs. 24) [identity of the 3: see NIVSB text note on 2 Sam. 23:39] discussing among themselves getting this water.
2. Possibly, since David often spoke prophetically, this was a challenge that those with faith could accomplish, like Peter stepping out to walk on the water.
3. IDENTITY & FEATS
*ELEAZAR SON OF DODAI the Ahohite. Name -- "God is my helper." Feats? The Israelites retreated during a battle; he stood his ground. He fought until his hand "froze to the sword." The Israelites returned only to strip the dead (all dead).
*ABISHAI, BRO. OF JOAB, Son of Zeruiah Name -- "Father of a Gift." 1. He opposed the Army of the Ammonites before the gates of Rabbah and drove them headlong into the city (2 Sam. 10:10,14).
2. When David's life was imperiled by Ishbi-benob the giant, Abishai came to his help and slew the giant (2 Sam. 21:15-17).
3. He withstood 300 men and slew them with his spear (2 Sam. 23:18).
* BENAIAH, Son of Jehoida, Chief Priest. Name: "Built by Jehovah. Feats? "He “struck down two of Moab’s best fighters; he went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion; and he struck down a huge Egyptian” 2 Sam. 23:20-21.
D. GREATNESS HAS A PRICE TAG
1. The mindset of these men was one of total devotion to their king. This water was going to cost these men something! This is the way that it is with the King; the things He values will cost you something.