Summary: When you look around at the religious world one soon learns that there are many ideas concerning the way of salvation. Some people encourage you to "Choose the Church of Your Choice," but do we really have that choice? The bible teaches that when one co
The Way of Salvation
When you look around at the religious world one soon learns that there are many ideas concerning the way of salvation. Some people encourage you to "Choose the Church of Your Choice," but do we really have that choice? The bible teaches that when one comes into the salvation of Jesus Christ it is then the Lord himself who adds us to HIS CHURCH!
This makes understanding what the bible teaches concerning the way of salvation of utmost importance. We can learn one thing from religious division, that salvation is not attributed to any one thing.
ƒæ Some teach Salvation by Grace Alone
„« Yet all agree that one must believe.
„« If salvation were from grace alone, then all would be saved. (Titus 2:11,12)
ƒæ Others teach Salvation by Faith Alone
„« In essence, no one practices this because they insist one must also repent. (Luke 13:3)
„« The bible teaches that salvation is NOT by faith ALONE. (James 2:24)
ƒæ Still others teach that salvation is by Works
„« This is just plain wrong!
„« Man cannot earn his salvation. (Titus 3:5)
ƒæ Our text tells us that it is by Grace through Faith we are saved.
„« Grace is the Divine side of Salvation.
„« Faith is the Human side of Salvation.
I. The Divine Side of Salvation
A. Salvation Originated in the mind of God
1. It was His eternal purpose. (Ephesians 3:10, 11)
2. Salvation was born out of God’s love. (John 3:16)
3. God made His love known to us. (1 John 4:9, 10)
B. Salvation was Established by Jesus’ Sacrifice
1. Blood was required for forgiveness of sins. (Hebrews 9:22)
2. Jesus died while we were still sinners. (Romans 5:6¡X8)
3. Salvation and Forgiveness of Sins are found only in Christ’s blood.
(a) Acts 4:12
(b) Ephesians 1:7
C. Salvation was Revealed by the Holy Spirit
1. He revealed to us the mind of God. (1 Corinthians 2:9¡X13)
2. He inspired the Apostles to write and preserve his revelation. (Ephesians 3:1¡X6)
II. The Human Side of Salvation
A. Salvation is Secured by Faith
1. One cannot come to God without faith. (Hebrews 11:6)
2. One with faith has the power to become a child of God. (John 1:11, 12)
3. Yet, one can believe and still be lost. (James 2:14¡X19)
B. We Submit to Salvation through obedience.
1. To know God is to be saved. (John 17:3)
2. We know God when we keep his commands. (1 John 2:3, 4)
3. Jesus saves obedient believers.
(a) Matthew 7:21, 22
(b) Hebrews 5:8, 9
God, through his grace, has provided a way of salvation for sinful man. Where is your faith?
Mitchell Skelton, Minister
Midway church of Christ