Summary: God prepared Moses to do His will.
Intro. We have a dehydrated Christianity today. Dryness has overtaken most. So we must draw water out of the Lord’s well. It is only for the redeemed! Isa 12:2 "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. 3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation."
I. The Awareness that Embraced Him - vs. 11-12
A. He Recognized the Burden - he looked on it.
Just as Jeremiah in Lamentations 3:51 "Mine eye affecteth mine heart because of all the daughters of my city." Oh that we would care! See others burdens.
B. He Reacted to their Treatment - One was beaten, and Moses defended Him.
1. In these verses Moses was embraced by his awareness of His people.
We are not told when Moses knew they were his people. Questions as a boy, or maybe just the similar features and questions about him looking different.
2. But he knew he was going to see “his brethren.”
C. He Returned to Investigate Further - vs. 13, he went out the second day.
1. His Interest - He returned the second day, probably to protect. No doubt he was enticed in his spirit to see them more.
2. His Interference - he breaks up a fight between two Hebrews.
The ungrateful Hebrews then mock him concerning his previous protection of them. No doubt they were jealous of Moses.
3. His Insecurity - surely everyone knows what I did! He becomes aware that they saw him kill the Egyptian - and then he panicked.
II. The Adversary that Endangered Him - vs. 15a
A. The Closeness of the Enemy.
1. This enemy had once been his adopted Family.
2. This enemy had once been his Friend.
3. This enemy was common to Him.
4. But he chose to turn on the enemy, and the enemy desired to defeat him.
The awareness of this kinship embraced him to the point he cared!
B. The Chasing by the Enemy - Always seems that no matter how hard we try, there seems to be an enemy pursuing us.
1. Complacency of our Wills - “comfort zone”
2. Complaining of our Flesh.
3. Conditions of Life.
4. Corruption of the World - All seek to defeat us.
III. The Abode that Equipped Him - vs. 15
A. The Separation - We know the story of Moses, and how he was chosen to be the deliverer of Israel. And his preparation began at a well!
B. The Supply
1. The Place - Midian - strife.
- He did not run to a place of comfort - desert
- He did not rest in a place of
2. The Provision - He found a well - In the midst of his running, no doubt weary - God led him to a well!
C. The School - sometimes before God does something great with us, he will lead us to a well, but then also a wilderness. Ex 3:1 "Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father in law, the priest of Midian: and he led the flock to the backside of the desert, and came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb."
1. The Appearance of God’s Power - burning bush, not consumed.
The Fire of God does not consume us, but will continue us!
2. The Awe of God’s Presence - take off your shoes.
3. The Awareness of God’s Purpose - MOSES did not know it until then.
He was to go deliver the People of Israel.
Concl. In his Conflict - HE FOUND A WELL. The place of this well was where the Lord would prepare Moses for his next phase in life!