Summary: In order for a Christian to know and do the will of God, we must first give God two things.
“The Will of God”
· “There are two great days in a person’s life -- the day we are born and the day we discover why.” William Barclay
· As you sit here today, can you say with 100% certainty, that you KNOW why you were born? Why God continues to allow you to live?
· People who have had a near death experience or tragic accident in their lives make some of the best servants of God
o Consider Job, and his loss
o Consider Peter, and his shame
o Consider Saul of Tarsus, and his blindness
· On the back of you bulletin, write down, in just a few words, what is the will of God for your life. Make sure you do not violate what the Bible says regarding God’s will. If you’re like most people, you don’t have any idea what God’s will is for you. This should not embarrass you, unless you don’t want to know!
· This week we’ll look at the elementary level process of discerning God’s will for your life.
I. Let Him have your Body, 1
A. All things belong to the Lord, 11:35-36
1. Ps. 24:1 “The earth is the LORD’S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.”
B. Your body is His, not your own, I Cor. 6:19-20
1. Your body is a temple, 19a
2. You are not free to do what you want, 19b
3. You’ve been bought with the blood of Jesus, 20a
4. You are called to glorify God, 20b
C. He wants you to give Him, what is His, 1
1. ‘A living sacrifice’: On life’s road, not a death bed
2. ‘Holy’: Sacred, Consecrated
3. ‘Acceptable’: fully agreeable
II. Let Him have your Mind, 2
A. This happens when you are different from the world, ‘be not conformed’
1. ‘Conformed means ‘similar to, fashioned like unto.’
2. We are conformed to what or who we love, I John 2:15-16
3. We are conformed to the things we follow, Eph. 2:2
B. This happens when you are transformed by the Word, ‘be ye transformed’
1. The Word will give you the mind of Christ
2. The Word will reveal the mind of the Spirit
3. The Word will tell you the mind of God
When you are not conformed to the world; and when you are transformed by the Word, God can reveal His perfect will for your life!
· What is the will of God for your life?
o He want you to serve Him with your Body
o He wants you to serve Him with your Mind
· Henry Ward Beecher once said, "The strength and the happiness of a man consists in finding out the way in which God is going, and going in that way too."
· Elisabeth Elliot, at Urbana 76, told of her brother Thomas Howard. Their mother let him play with paper bags she’d saved if he put them away afterwards. One day she walked into the kitchen to find them strewn all over the floor. Tom was out at the piano with his father singing hymns. When confronted, he protested, "But Mom, I want to sing." His father stated, "It’s no good singing God’s praise if you’re disobedient."
· You will never know the will of God for your life, if you don’t obey Him in the things that you know you should being doing.