Summary: Jesus concludes his message of the "Sermon on the Mount" with an issustration. This is that illustration.
THE WISE AND FOOLISH BUILDERS
INTRO: Jesus has just finished his Sermon on the Mount. He had been telling of His coming kingdom. He perceived that many that heard Him would be satisfied with just hearing Him, and not obeying what He had told them.
So He concluded His sermon with the parable of the builders. In other words, He illustrated His message. Many of us like to sit and listen but do nothing.
I. WHAT IS COMMENDABLE EVEN IN THE CONDUCT OF
THE FOOLISH BUILDER.
A. He was not a neglecter of religious things altogether.
1. He heard the teachings of Jesus.
2. He heard well enough to understand.
3. He was greatly influenced by what he heard.
B. He felt the importance of making provision for the future.
1. Of building a house to protect himself, and his family.
2. He selected a site, started building, and didn’t quit until he
3. There was nothing wrong with the house he built. He spent long
hard hours on it.
II. THE THINGS THAT HE NEGLECTED AS CONTRASTED
TO THE WISE BUILDER.
A. Duly calculate the trials his house would have to endure.
1. He thought only of the present, and fine weather.
2. Palestine, like our area, was subject to much bad weather, and
you needed to build on a strong foundation.
3. Many are satisfied with the present form of religion, and see no
need for anything else.
B. He forgot to select a sure and safe foundation.
1. The sand in the dry season appears to be solid and strong.
ILLUS: When I was in seminary in Texas, in the summer it was so hot and dry that the ground would have big gaps, sometimes three inches wide.
2. The wise builder knows the value of a firm, strong, sure
3. The sandy foundation represents:
a. Our own righteousness, not God’s.
b. The dependance upon our works.
c. Formal religion, without salvation.
III. THE RESULTS FOR BOTH BUILDERS.
A. The foolish builder experienced storms he had not anticipated.
B. He perished with the building he built.
C. The wise builder’s house was tried by the same storm and withstood
D. Which house are you living in today?