Summary: Jesus Christ is not only the Messiah King of Israel, He is the Savior of the all who believe and the source of the believer’s righteousness before God.
The Wise Messiah-King
1. This past year was quite a year for Kokomo. Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama visited our town. Crowds gathered to see them. Some were supporters, others were undecided, and others wanted to see such famous people.
2. Although these visits brought enthusiasm and excitement to our community, they pale in long-term significance compared to Palm Sunday when hundreds of Jesus’ followers hailed Him as King. Two thousand years later, we still celebrate this event. Hence the traditional palm branches.
3. A little boy was sick on Palm Sunday and stayed home from church with his mother. His father returned from church holding a palm branch. The little boy was curious and asked, "Why do you have that palm branch, dad?" "You see, when Jesus came into town, everyone waved Palm Branches to honor him, so we got Palm Branches today." The little boy replied, " Aw nuts! The one Sunday I miss is the Sunday that Jesus shows up!" [sermon central]
4. Palm Sunday was both a time when Jesus’ followers recognized Him as King, and also serves as a preview of the time when Jesus comes to earth to reign.
Main Idea: Jesus Christ is not only the Messiah King of Israel, He is the Savior of the all who believe and the source of the believer’s righteousness before God.
I. The NATURE of the Coming Messiah (5)
A. BRANCH of David
Isaiah 11:1, "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
On Palm Sunday, the text in Matthew says, "The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, "Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" "Hosanna in the highest!" (Matthew 24:9)
Righteous leaders + population = blessing. Almost all of our nation’s financial meltdown can be traced to serious character flaws
• corporate executives taking advantage of situations to enrich themselves,
• the government nudging banks to make risky loans to borrowers,
• borrowers who reached for the extravagant & wanted to live beyond their means.
• The Messiah will be a builder: He will be righteous.
C. Wise KING
Have you ever met a truly talented, gifted, and maybe even trained individual who had no sense? Someone who keeps making the same mistakes, over and over?
Leadership is a grave responsibility, because his decisions are multiplied.
The Messiah will reign as a wise king.
In the meantime, He has given us His Word -- especially books like Proverbs-- to make us wise. Are we showing up for our briefings?
D. Enactor of JUSTICE
Isaiah 11:4-5 "He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears; but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked."
Jesus Christ is not only the Messiah King of Israel, He is the Savior of the all who believe and the source of the believer’s righteousness before God.