Summary: Second in a five week series. I trust this series will help us gain a new appreciation for who Jesus Christ is and what He did for us.
The Wonder of Christ
Text: Isaiah 9:6
He is wonderful in His birth
A. It was a prophetic birth
1. Gen. 3:15 predicts He would be born of the seed of a woman. (fulfilled in Gal. 4:4)
3. Ps. 2:7 predicts He would be the Son of God (fulfilled Matt. 3:17)
4. Gen. 22:18 predicts He would be the seed of Abraham (fulfilled Matt. 1:1)
5. Gen. 21:12 predicts he would be a descendent of Isaac (fulfilled Luke 3:23, 34)
7. Gen. 49: 10 predicts tribe of Judah (fulfilled Luke 3:23, 33)
10. Micah 5:2 predicts he would be born at Bethlehem (fulfilled Matt. 2:1)
11. Ps. 72:10 predicts He would be given gifts (fulfilled Matt. 2:1,11)
12. Jeremiah 31:15 predicts Herod killing children (fulfilled Matt. 2:16)
B. It was a miraculous birth
1. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. (Matt. 1:20)
2. He was born of a virgin. (Luke 1)
He is wonderful in His perfect life
Isaiah 53:9 “And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.”
2 Corinthians 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
Hebrews 4:15 “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”
Hebrews 7:26 “For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens.”
1 Peter 1:19 “But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.”
1 Peter 2:22 “Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.”
He is wonderful in His death
1. Jesus Christ died as the Supreme offering for sin.
A. He was wounded for our transgressions
B. He was bruised for our iniquities.
C. He came willingly to die as the atoning sacrifice that was necessary for our forgiveness for sin.
D. He humbled himself and became a servant.(Philippians 2:5-8) Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
He is wonderful in His resurrection
Other religions have record of the death of their founders, but only Christianity can claim that our Saviour has risen from the dead. The grave could not hold him. Death had no grip upon him. He had the power to lay down His life and to take it up again. In John 11:25 He tells us that He is the resurrection and the life. He promises that those who believe on him shall live. (John 11:25) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.