Summary: Thursday morning we got up to see the first snowfall of the season. Looking out over the colored foliage and the fresh pure white snow being reflected in our pond was absolutely beautiful...This is a beautiful picture of what happens to a life that is tu
“The Wonders of God ~ Salvation”
Part 3 of 5
John 17:5 & Selected
Cross Creek Community Church
Pastor Dave Martin
November 3, 2002
Thursday morning we got up to see the first snowfall of the season. Looking out over the colored foliage and the fresh pure white snow being reflected in our pond was absolutely beautiful. With the sterling blue sky and the suns rays glistening off every tiny all different snowflake, it was a beautiful portrait painted by God Himself. This is a beautiful picture of what happens to a life that is turned over to Jesus Christ. As we are born anew, new creations in Christ!
Most people here today are born again and on your way to heaven. Even though in your life this may be true I want you to pay very close attention to the message this morning. I want you to listen and receive these words as if it were the very first time you ever heard them. You may be here this morning and not sure your sins are forgiven, you may have questions concerning God and who Jesus Christ is. I want everyone to pay careful attention, try not to be distracted in any way – this is a critical message for all of us here this morning as we continue our series on the “Wonders of God”.
1. The Pre-Existent One
John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Jesus Christ the Living Word, is the Eternal One. The Word (Jesus) was God! He was before creation – He did not become or was created – Jesus eternally existed before the beginning of creation.
Jesus said in John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "Before Abraham was born, I am!"
Jesus is the self-existent one, the Son of God. Continuous existence, the forever existent I Am.
* Jesus the One who co-existed with the Father, in the very nature and character of God the Father.
* Yet remaining distinct and individual. Perfect in every aspect, as the Father is perfect.
John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
Before the world came into existence, Jesus existed in the glorious presence of the Father.
Understand clearly, Jesus is the Pre-Existent One, God in the flesh – A glorious Wonder of God!
2. The Predicted Messiah
Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
* I have read that there are 456 O.T. prophecies concerning Jesus Christ! All fulfilled or yet to be fulfilled.
* Jesus is God wrapped up in human flesh. Jesus Christ fulfilling the offices of Prophet, Priest and King.
* Four descriptive names given in Is. 9:6: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
Luke 2:11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.
* Three titles given in this verse: Savior – “Deliverer”, Christ – “Anointed One”, Lord – “Yahweh; God”.
* The Words for Christ (Gk) and Messiah (Heb) is the same – “Christos” meaning the “Anointed One”.
* Jesus claimed and accepted His title of Messiah various places in scripture (Mt 16:17; Mk 14:61; John 4:26).
* Jesus is the long awaited Messiah predicted in the O.T. came as a baby born in Bethlehem.
* The wondrous virgin birth, the Savior, the Messiah, Yahweh-God, the Anointed One has come!
3. His Sinless Life and Miracles
John 20:30-31 Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
The Gospels contain only a small sample of Jesus’ words and wonders.
* He lived a perfect sinless life to be the perfect sinless sacrifice whom God sent from heaven to earth.
* Jesus 100% God and 100% human lived a perfect life of love, purity, justice, truth, peace, faith, compassion, power, hope, joy, commitment, self-denial, holiness, mercy, righteousness, discipline, behavior, sacrifice, etc.
John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.