Summary: A message on the purpose of the Holy Spirit.
THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
INTRO: Jesus spoke the words of the text to His disciples. He told them that it was expedient or profitable for them that He should go away. If He did not go away, the Holy Spirit would not come to them. It was necessary that the Holy Spirit come into the world to dwell with the Lord’s people.
I. THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN BRINGING MEN
A. The Holy Spirit invites men to Christ.
1. The Holy Spirit condemns men for sin.
2. It also gives us the remedy for sin.
B. It is the author of the New Birth.
1. Man is born of the Spirit into spiritual life (John 3:5-6).
2. Man can be saved only by the Spirit, through the blood of
II. THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN DIRECTING THE MINISTRY OF THE
A. He makes known the preachers calling.
1. The Holy Spirit speaks to praying men. Men who have time to
wait on Him.
2. Men so consecrated are called and directed by the Holy Spirit.
3. There are many ministers today who expect the Holy Spirit to
wait on them.
B. He anoints ministers to preach the Gospel.
1. Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit to preach the Gospel.
2. If it was necessary for the Son of God to be anointed, so much
more for men today to be the same.
C. The Holy Spirit directs where to preach.
1. Paul and Timothy wanted to go their way and preach where they
2. Men today want the same thing.
D. The Holy Spirit shows what to preach.
III. THE MISSION OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE CHURCH AT LARGE.
A. The Holy Spirit directed the council at Jerusalem (Acts 15).
1. There was a dispute in the Church about circumcision.
2. Peter spoke about God working at large.
3. Paul and Barnabas spoke, then James.
4. Finally everyone yielded (v. 28).
B. The Holy Spirit is a comforter to the Church.
1. At the conversion of Saul, the churches had rest and found
a. They prayed for release from persecution.
b. As a result of their praying, Paul was saved.
2. Jesus called the Holy Spirit the comforter.
3. Not only the Church, but individuals have found comfort in Him.