Summary: The Wrath of God – Romans chapter 2 verse 5 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
• (1). Initial remarks regarding God's wrath.
• (2). Explanation of God's wrath.
• (3). Three truths about God's wrath.
• #1: God's wrath is just.
• #2: God's wrath is to be feared.
• #3: God's wrath is satisfied in Christ.
• A man made an appointment to see his doctor.
• "Doctor," he complained, "everywhere I touch seems to hurt lately.
• Am I getting old or just senile?
• If I push on my knees here, I hurt.
• I push on my stomach and I hurt!
• I press on my head right here by my temple and that hurts too!
• What's going on?"
• The doctor called for a full body X-ray.
• An hour passed and after evaluating the X-rays carefully,
• The doctor returned.
• Stroking his chin, the doctor slowly began,
• "I think I've found the reason why everything you touch hurts."
• The anxious man replied.
• "Well, tell me!"
• The doctor pointed to the X-ray.
• "Your body is fine, but your finger is broken."
• TRANSITION: We live in a world that is broken!
• All you have to do is pick up a newspaper or turn on the news;
• And the headlines will show us a world that is broken and fragmented!
• And you don’t need me to tell you the reason for a broken and fragmented world;
• The problem is ‘mankind’, you and me!
• The Bible teaches we are ‘sinners’ by nature;
• And sinners by practice.
• Born with a fallen human nature and tainted by original sin
Quote: Romans chapter 5 verse 12:
“Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned”
• While grandad was asleep in his favourite chair;
• The grandchildren decided to play a trick on him.
• They went to the fridge and found the smelliest type of cheese;
• They then went back in to the room where grandad was sleeping,
• And very carefully rubbed a slither of the cheese on grandads moustache.
• Then they ran away and hid behind the curtains.
• It only took a few minutes before grandad reacted!
• He woke up and said out loud, “Phew, this room stinks”
• So he got up and walked into the kitchen;
• Breathed in and said out loud, “Phew, this kitchen stinks”
• So he then walked out into the garden;
• Breathed in and said out loud, “Phew, this garden stinks”;
• “In fact this whole world stinks!”
• TRANSITION: You and I know of course that he was the problem!
• And the Bible makes it very clear that this world is in a mess,
• Because we are the problem!
(1). Initial Remarks Regarding God's Wrath.
• Earlier on in this letter to the Romans the apostle Paul said (chapter 1 verse 18):
• “He is not ashamed of the gospel”;
• That is the good news, the message of Jesus Christ.
• There is nothing to be ashamed of;